[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 and RAM

mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) (04/08/91)

Given the virtual memory capacities of system 7.0, will there be any
need to purchase additional RAM?  If not, will it even be advantageous
to have more RAM rather than less?

maria i. lasaga
department of psychology
gilmer hall
university of virginia
charlottesville, va 22903                  mil@virginia

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.010338.14202@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) writes:

>Given the virtual memory capacities of system 7.0, will there be any
>need to purchase additional RAM?  If not, will it even be advantageous
>to have more RAM rather than less?

How much real ram do you have?  How much do you want?  How much will you use?

Seriously, the answer to your question is, what preformance is acceptable
to you?  Real ram is faster than virtual ram.  I would not think that having
1meg real/13 meg virtual would be acceptable unless you never used more than
one meg.

Personal suggestion: install as much ram as you generally use in day-to-day
work (it's cheap).  Rely on virtual for anything over that.

Remember that you will need a 68030 or a 68020 w/PMMU to use virtual mem. in
system 7, as well as a compatable HD driver (what constitutes a "compatable
driver" is a bit murky now -- I'm sure it will be figured out the week after
7 is released -- HEY! how come V-M won't work?!?!)

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr9.220140.18228@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) writes:
>In article <1991Apr8.010338.14202@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) writes:
>>
>>Given the virtual memory capacities of system 7.0, will there be any
>>need to purchase additional RAM?  If not, will it even be advantageous
>>to have more RAM rather than less?

>How much real ram do you have?  How much do you want?  How much will you use?

>Seriously, the answer to your question is, what preformance is acceptable
>to you?  Real ram is faster than virtual ram.  I would not think that having
>1meg real/13 meg virtual would be acceptable unless you never used more than
>one meg.

>Personal suggestion: install as much ram as you generally use in day-to-day
>work (it's cheap).  Rely on virtual for anything over that.

Maybe a real example would be helpful.

I ran my Mac II with VIRTUAL (the Connectix product) and 2M of
physical memory for a long time. I was happy as long as the programs I
ran were of reasonable size and I didn't switch between them terribly
often.

Then I tried to debug a large application using Think C's source-level
debugger. At every step in the debugger, the application would swap
in, execute one source-level instruction, and get swapped out in favor
of the debugger.  It was hideous. I upgraded to 5M of physical memory
the next day.

--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (04/12/91)

From article <1991Apr8.010338.14202@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, by mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga):

> Given the virtual memory capacities of system 7.0, will there be any
> need to purchase additional RAM?  If not, will it even be advantageous
> to have more RAM rather than less?

You can never have enough RAM!  Seriously, though, in the early days of
VM (late 60's -- yes, I KNOW the Atlas was running in '57!) empirical studies
gave a rule of thumb of about a factor of two between real and virtual
memory; try to squeeze it more than that, and you begin to spend all your
time in disk-wait.  That is likely to be even MORE true for the graphics-
intensive applications we run now than it was then.

A bit more sophisticated notion is that of a working set, which is a fancy
way of saying that a program needs to have rapid access to the data
and code it's actively using in order to perform well.  If real memory is
less than the sum of the working sets for the active programs, you're going
to see severe performance degradation.  VM systems characteristically have a
"knee" in the performance curve at that sum-of-working-sets point: add just
one process, and the disklights go full on, and performance goes into the
tank.

Of course, your mileage may vary; if you run lots of applications that
don't maintain open windows, and don't do a lot of processing in background,
you may find that VM really helps a lot.  Swapping in working sets is
cheaper than launching the program.  If you run with MPW running C++
makes and a terminal emulator doing up/downloads and the printmonitor
punching away and the kids using your Mac as a server, all in the
background, you may conclude that VM is a waste of time...

=Ned Horvath=

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr8.010338.14202@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) writes:

>Given the virtual memory capacities of system 7.0, will there be any
>need to purchase additional RAM?  If not, will it even be advantageous
>to have more RAM rather than less?

I see several reasons to have large amounts of RAM in your Mac with sys 7.
The first is that the sys 7 system heap is quite large (at least for B4).
Mine currently runs about 1.5 Megs. I'm not sure why it is so large, but
I do have sharing turned on (but not VM). Sharing seems to account for
only about 180K or so, though. The finder grabs another 340K. (Side
question - has anyone figured out why the system heap is so large?) This
leaves a small amount of memory available for applications in a 2 Meg
machine (Mine has 5 MB - it still feels a bit cramped).

The second reason is that VM eats up disk space. If you have 14 Megs of VM,
then you will use up 14 Megs of disk space. That leave only 26 megs of storage
on a 40 MB hard disk. This is the biggest reason I don't run VM - I need
the extra storage.

Lastly, you should expect some applications to break under VM. If the
applications use a Vertical timing interval task or any other task that
runs at interrupt time, there could be a quick debugger exit (AKA BOMB).
The reason is that if the task is swapped to disk when an interrupt that
triggers the task occurs, the machine will vector to where it thought the
task was (but no longer is). System 7 has functions to lock down the tasks
so they won't be swapped. Of course, pre Sys-7 applications don't know
about the functions, so they don't use them. I sure hope the folks in Redmond
have their (now very good) tech support staff prepped for this one :-).

My question actually becomes one of whether VM is all that useful to run.
It's quite possible the Macintosh Plus/Classic folks will have nothing
to miss with this feature!

- Jack B.
amateur radio: wa4fib/7

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (04/12/91)

In my limited experience on a Xerox 8010, I concluded that virtual
memory would give you about twice as much "usable" memory as physical
memory.  So if you have 5Mb of DRAM, 10Mb of virtual memory is a
reasonable limit.  With 2Mb of DRAM, 4Mb was a reasonable limit for
virtual memory.

Beyond that limit, even if the code has been repackaged to minimize
working sets (i.e. to minimize paging), the machine would still start
to thrash badly.  I suspect the Mac OS is very poorly structured for
virtual memory, so your mileage may vary.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL
"WAR!  UGH! ... What is it GOOD FOR?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"
	- the song "WAR" by Edwin Starr, circa 1971

--

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.193950.7332@cbnewsk.att.com> ech@cbnewsk.att.com
(ned.horvath) writes:

   gave a rule of thumb of about a factor of two between real and virtual
   memory; try to squeeze it more than that, and you begin to spend all your
   time in disk-wait.

This rule of thumb seems about right for System 7.0, as well.  10M virtual
running in 5MB physical works very nicely.  More than that begins to bog
down some.  I'd also recommend running at least 4MB physical, or you're
going to be spending all your time swapping your system heap back in...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr12.201532.18426@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

I'd also recommend running at least 4MB physical, or you're
> going to be spending all your time swapping your system heap back in...

Nope.  The system heap is held in physical RAM and never paged to disk.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/16/91)

In article <13051@goofy.Apple.COM> Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg
Marriott) writes:

   Nope.  The system heap is held in physical RAM and never paged to disk.

Yow. Yet more reason to have at least 4MB of physical memory...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
"I can only assume this is not the first-class compartment."
		--The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr12.201532.18426@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <1991Apr11.193950.7332@cbnewsk.att.com> ech@cbnewsk.att.com
>(ned.horvath) writes:
>This rule of thumb seems about right for System 7.0, as well.  10M virtual
>running in 5MB physical works very nicely.  More than that begins to bog
>down some.  I'd also recommend running at least 4MB physical, or you're
>going to be spending all your time swapping your system heap back in...

Except, of course, that the system heap is NEVER swapped out under
System 7.0.  On my 8 meg IIci, 2.6 megs is already held in memory
as the system heap.

Ken

as part of the System heap.  *bleh*`
--