[comp.sys.mac.misc] profanity

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/20/91)

In article <i5NN13w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) writes:
>jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:
>
>> In article <1991Apr18.021454.20472@news.iastate.edu> xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU
>> >J*ff,
>> >	Actually I didn't want to offend anyone if they don't condone such
>> >language use...
>> >
>> >Steve
>>
>> AARRGHH!!  Then why did you use it??  EVERYONE who read your article knew
>> EXACTLY what the word was, so if they were offendable, THEY WERE OFFENDED!
>> Two measily little asterisks aren't going to fool anybody.  I agree with
>> Jeff.  If you're going to use profanity, USE IT, else DON'T, but don't wimp
>> out.
>
>John,
>
>Following your logic as I understand it...If I think about killing
>someone, then I might as well actually kill someone?
>
>Personally, I would rather not see profanity on the Net and asterisks at
>least lighten things up a little.  Of course a private mail message
>should be able to contain profanity if you want.

Reductio ad absurdum isn't particularly fair, now, is it?

Profanity != murder, but that's not the point.  I was merely exasperated
with Steve for saying that he put the asterisks in so as not to offend anyone.
If he really wanted to avoid offending the easily offended he should have
chosen a different word.  The asterisks do not provide sufficient camouflage.

My apologies to those who agree that this discussion has moved far outside
the charter of comp.sys.mac.misc.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145