[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple IIe ==> Mac

PS9ZRHMC@MIAMIU.BITNET (Peter Sweeney) (04/20/91)

I'm at my wit's end.

There is a professor on campus that has 30 disks full of
Apple IIe documents that he has written over the last 8 years.
Last month he bought a Mac.  He wants to convert from
the Apple to the Mac.

Problem number one: they are all on 5 1/4" disks.
Problem number two: he was using software that ran
                    under AppleDOS.  Not Apple ProDOS.
                    AppleDOS.  Jesus.  I think the software
                    was a primitive version of AppleWorks.

My boss seems to think I can hook up an Apple IIe to
the serial port on an IBM and fool the software into
thinking it's "printing."  Meanwhile, on the IBM
side, I set-up PCTRANS to receive and build the file.
The file is transferred to the Mac via DEC's PathWorks.
Hellish.  It might work, but hellish.

I've tried converting from DOS --> ProDOS on an Apple IIe
and then copying from 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" and then running
Apple File Exchange on the Mac.  Okay, feasible, but slow.  Plus,
Apple ProDOS is the most inconsiderate buttinsky piece
of software.  [e.g. It won't let me rename what it thinks are duplicate
files in the middle of a copy.  I have to either overwrite or skip]
I figure with this method, maybe a disk an hour.  Maybe.

I'm not looking for anything fancy here, folks.
These are just flat text files.  Can I print directly
to a Mac and have MacKermit receive it?  I've experimented
with this, but so far, no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Any response is welcome.

Peter Sweeney                   | Two of the worst things we teach our
200 Elliott Hall                | children are that a knowledge of
529-3982                        | science is nice but not necessary,

bskendig@rise.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/20/91)

In article <91110.022642PS9ZRHMC@MIAMIU.BITNET> PS9ZRHMC@MIAMIU.BITNET (Peter Sweeney) writes:
>There is a professor on campus that has 30 disks full of
>Apple IIe documents that he has written over the last 8 years.
>Last month he bought a Mac.  He wants to convert from
>the Apple to the Mac.

Sounds like the easiest thing to do is a null modem transfer!

Get a terminal program on your Mac, and another one on the Apple.
Then I believe you'll have to buy a "Mac serial <-> RS232" connector
from your local computer hardware store, as well as whatever cable
you'll need to make the Apple plug into RS232.

The trick then is to buy a "null modem" -- a small female-to-female
connector, I believe, which swaps two wires on the RS232 cable so your
two machines can talk to each other (otherwise both machines would be
talking on the same line, and listening on the same other line).

Your machines will then be directly connected.  You can transfer your
text files to the Mac at whatever speed you like, preferably the
fastest speed that the Apple will handle.  Piece of cake!

The only catch, of course, is that you have to find the cables and
null modem, and buy them (I know it's upwards of $10 for the little
null modem thingy, for some odd reason).  If the professor balks,
well, it's the only feasible way.

Good luck!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington) (04/21/91)

Peter Sweeney writes:
>I'm at my wit's end.
>
>There is a professor on campus that has 30 disks full of
>Apple IIe documents that he has written over the last 8 years.
>Last month he bought a Mac.  He wants to convert from
>the Apple to the Mac.
>
>Problem number one: they are all on 5 1/4" disks.
>Problem number two: he was using software that ran
>                    under AppleDOS.  Not Apple ProDOS.
>                    AppleDOS.  Jesus.  I think the software
>                    was a primitive version of AppleWorks.
>
>My boss seems to think I can hook up an Apple IIe to
>the serial port on an IBM and fool the software into
>thinking it's "printing."  Meanwhile, on the IBM
>side, I set-up PCTRANS to receive and build the file.
>The file is transferred to the Mac via DEC's PathWorks.
>Hellish.  It might work, but hellish.
>
>I've tried converting from DOS --> ProDOS on an Apple IIe
>and then copying from 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" and then running
>Apple File Exchange on the Mac.  Okay, feasible, but slow.  Plus,
>Apple ProDOS is the most inconsiderate buttinsky piece
>of software.  [e.g. It won't let me rename what it thinks are duplicate
>files in the middle of a copy.  I have to either overwrite or skip]
>I figure with this method, maybe a disk an hour.  Maybe.
>
>I'm not looking for anything fancy here, folks.
>These are just flat text files.  Can I print directly
>to a Mac and have MacKermit receive it?  I've experimented
>with this, but so far, no luck.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

I'm presuming the apple // has a SSC (superserial card). In this case,
all you need to do is make sure the jumper block on the SSC is
set for TERMINAL (not modem). This sets you up for a direct cable
connection, allowing you to use an ordinary straight through cable.
(Not a null modem cable). The cable you use to connect your mac to
modem will work nicely. Then set the speed of the serial card.
(pr#n
 in#n
 ctrl-I 14b) where n= the slot number your SSC is in.
(Isn't the apple // intuitive?)
Fire up appleworks or whatever , select a printer that expects pure
ascii (I think apple dmp fits the bill, I don't recall offhand
which worked for me) with no printer control codes. Then set up
your telecom software on the mac, and start "printing" to the
slot where the SSC is. I've had good results with Zterm 0.85 on
the Mac. Just capture to ascii file. BTW, the ctrl-I 14b sets the
modem to 9600 bps (either that or 15b does it). set zterm to n71.
  Wish your prof lots of luck porting his applesoft basic progs
to the Mac environment. He may have to remove a few PEEKs and POKEs
:-).
              gort@cup.portal.com