[comp.sys.mac.misc] Registrations Cards:

hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (04/19/91)

   Registration card and warranty cards are NEVER used in any business
for registering the user.  Marketing wants a survey of those who actually
turned them in.  Two reasons:
           1)  You don't legally have to return them to validate a warranty.
           2)  Why else do they ask you so many questions that relate
               to your age, sex, annual income, etc.?
   I turned in the Apple card for one thing only:  The freebies.
   I will never turn in any other warranty cards in the future because:
                                            I didn't get any freebies.

BTW, other companies try to get you to turn them in case of "...the unlikely
event of a safety notice regarding your new <product>."
I thought companies routinely hide the flaws in their products until the
government tells them to recall...  :-)

Leonard

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (04/21/91)

}    Registration card and warranty cards are NEVER used in any business
} for registering the user.

In our company, we put the name, address, product title, version and date of
each registration card we get into a database.  We do this because we want to
keep a mailing list of all of our customers, and also to verify technical
support calls to make sure we're not giving out lots of support to a user
with a pirated copy.  And, we read every one that comes in -- including the
questionaire portion since very often our customers have some excellent
suggestions for improvements and ideas for new products.

The important thing is that we get our customer's addresses, because we will
occassionally run a bulk-mail campaign with a coupon toward a discount on
some new product we've just released.  We've found that our past customers
are our best customers, and many come back to buy our new products.  They are
already familiar with our company and quality products, and we really do like
making it easier for them to make a purchase by offering a discount.

So while registration cards are probably more valuable for the company, I can
give you a rather lengthy list of customers who took advantage of one of our
coupon campaigns and saved a heck of lot more than the postage on their
registration cards.

--Morgan

UUCP: crash!pro-sol!mdavis           AOL, BIX: mdavis
ARPA: crash!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil  GEnie:    m.davis42
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com         ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (04/22/91)

hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu writes:
>   Registration card and warranty cards are NEVER used in any business
>for registering the user.  Marketing wants a survey of those who actually
>turned them in.

WRONG!!!  We have a very high percentage of registered users, and we do
not use the information primarily for marketing.  Our main use is for sending
upgrade notices and company newsletters, as well as bug fixes for certain
problems.

In order to do this (serve our customers better), our registration cards
have US postage paid, the serial number stamped or pasted on, and all
we ask for is name and address.  Sure, we'd like to know where our customers
bought it and what kind of machine they have, but we'd rather have a high
return rate (which we do).

I hope this reduces your cynicism a little -- not all companies are out to
do you dirt, some of us like our customers very much!
--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709