[comp.sys.mac.misc] How do I decode .pit files?

scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley) (04/17/91)

I have a file with the extension .pit. What do I use to
unpack/decompress/whatever it?
Thanks,

--
<<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>
Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com|UUCP:...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/19/91)

In article <244@hsvaic.boeing.com> scott@hsvaic.boeing.com writes:
>I have a file with the extension .pit. What do I use to
>unpack/decompress/whatever it?
>Thanks,

This is a file compressed by the venerable PackIt program which was the
standard before StuffIt.  The shareware program is still avaible by
anonymous ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  It's path is
info-mac/util/packit3-13.hqx.

An even nicer way (for me, at least) of unPacking the occasional .pit file
is to use the new freeware program Downline (info-mac/comm/downline.hqx).
Downline is a very nice utility that decompresses all of the Stuffit and
PackIt files that you drop into a designated folder.  It works wonderfully
in the background, and it is quite a bit faster and more convenient than
opening Stuffit, opening the archive, double clicking, selecting a location
to unstuff to, etc.

Cheers,

Alan

	|  Alan R Fry                     |   You know what I hate?    |
	|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |   Rhetorical questions     |

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) (04/19/91)

Better still, why not use Stuffit Classic's "Unpack" (or is it "UnPack")
command... no FTP needed if you already have Stuffit, and I would guess that
you do... I'm assuming that Stuffit Deluxe has it, too.
--
***The University of Chicago - Adventure Haven: Climb the Joseph Regenstein ***
***Library! Descend into the Chasms of the Steam Tunnels! Walk home at 3am! ***

david@sherpa.UUCP (Dave Quarles) (04/21/91)

From article <13524@ur-cc.UUCP>, by afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry):

> An even nicer way (for me, at least) of unPacking the occasional .pit file
> is to use the new freeware program Downline (info-mac/comm/downline.hqx).
> Downline is a very nice utility that decompresses all of the Stuffit and
> PackIt files that you drop into a designated folder.  It works wonderfully
> in the background, and it is quite a bit faster and more convenient than
> opening Stuffit, opening the archive, double clicking, selecting a location
> to unstuff to, etc.

Absolutely !!!

If you don't use downline (or something equivalent) you should.  I have
been using it for a while now and it is MOST convenient.

This is just another example of the tremendous service UseNET provides.

Thank you.
		Thank you.
				Thank you.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   Dave   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU (Randall A. Swanson) (04/22/91)

> If you don't use downline (or something equivalent) you should.  I have
> been using it for a while now and it is MOST convenient.

Will downline decode BinHex 4 and 5 and Stuffit deluxe archives too, or is that
too much to ask for?

Randall Swanson
121 Baker Tower
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-5102

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr22.062157.26426@cs.cornell.edu> you write:

>> If you don't use downline (or something equivalent) you should.  I have
>> been using it for a while now and it is MOST convenient.
>
>Will downline decode BinHex 4 and 5 and Stuffit deluxe archives too, or is that
>too much to ask for?
>
>Randall Swanson
>121 Baker Tower
>Cornell University
>Ithaca, NY 14853-5102

BinHex 4 and 5 -- yes.  Stuffit Deluxe -- no.  Unfortunately SD's methods
are not published by Alladin, and the authors of Downline have no way of
knowing how to unstuff them.  In fact, in their help file, they give an
empassioned plea to those-who-care to put pressure on the SD, Compact Pro,
and DiskDoubler authors to go public with their compression methods.  I
mostly use Compact Pro, so I hope that it will go public so that Downline
can include it.  Nevertheless, I find Downline very useful since most net
stuff in in Stuffit 1.5.1.