[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 6.0.7

cs63fcp@unccvax.uncc.edu (f. pullen) (10/20/90)

Two quick questions:

First, according to the article "Change History 6.0.6b19" the Font/DA Mover
was upgraded to 3.9, fixing a few bugs.  Strange, my copy of System 6.0.7
includes the Font/DA Mover 3.8.  Was this a last-minute change?  Anybody?

Second, and more puzzlingly, is 6.0.7 SLOWER than 6.0.5?  I just tried out
Speedometer 2.5, under both systems, and the results were surprising:
Using my math chip, in both Finder and MultiFinder, 6.0.7 is MUCH slower.
The "General Processor Test" and "Disk Test" were about the same, but
the "Math Test" differed pretty widely.

Compare:  Finder, 131 vs. 142, and MF, 113 vs. 169!!  All four were "vanilla"
systems, with nothing special added--and in all my tests, System 6.0.5 was
faster than System 6.0.7.

Any ideas?  BTW, I'm running a IIci with 5MB; is it just me??

--Fred Pullen
cs63fcp@unccvax.uncc.edu
Disclaimer:  No disclaimers apply.

sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott Hunter Morgan) (10/24/90)

A couple of minor things:

- Why did they get rid of the "Set Aside" feature, I kinda liked it.
- I am using an SE w/ 20MB internal & 2.5MB ram, and ever since I
  upgraded to 6.07, when I quit some applications, the speaker makes
  a sound like it is being turned on or off or something.

So far I have encountered no real problems with it...

-Scott Morgan
sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu.HELL.NO.SLEEP
"CORPSE" Lives -- Inside Joke..

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (10/24/90)

In article <Ub9EJgS00WB8I_lkw6@andrew.cmu.edu> sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott Hunter Morgan) writes:
>A couple of minor things:
>- Why did they get rid of the "Set Aside" feature, I kinda liked it.
     MultiFinder 6.0.x never had the "Set Aside," to the best of my knowledge;
only MultiFinder 6.1bx had it.  Unfortunately, the Installer deals with file
dates, not version numbers; it considers 6.0.7 to be newer than 6.1b9, so it
happily obliterates 6.1b9.  I wasn't thinking too clearly when I installed
6.0.7, and lost my only copy of 6.1b9 this way. :(
>- I am using an SE w/ 20MB internal & 2.5MB ram, and ever since I
>  upgraded to 6.07, when I quit some applications, the speaker makes
>  a sound like it is being turned on or off or something.
     From what I've been told, this has to do with the new 7.0 Sound Manager,
that's included in 6.0.7.  It makes this click on machines that don't have
the new Apple Sound Chip.

--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (10/24/90)

Hunter Morgan) writes:
> - Why did they get rid of the "Set Aside" feature, I kinda liked it.

The "Set Aside" feature is a feature of the MulitFinder version that comes
with Sade.  It has never been a feature of any of the systems delivered to
non-developers (don't ask me why).  So they didn't get rid of it...  Try
using the "set-aside" MulitFinder with 6.07, it should work (I haven't
upgraded yet, so I haven't tried it).

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (10/25/90)

[sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott Hunter Morgan) writes:]
[] A couple of minor things:
[]
[] - Why did they get rid of the "Set Aside" feature, I kinda liked it.
[] - I am using an SE w/ 20MB internal & 2.5MB ram, and ever since I
[]   upgraded to 6.07, when I quit some applications, the speaker makes
[]   a sound like it is being turned on or off or something.
[]
[] So far I have encountered no real problems with it...

here's what i've noticed:
1) you've always got to enlarge the Finder's partition and the System
    heap after these upgrades {else typically you'll end up with
    something like 5kB free in the system heap and the Finder unable
    to rebuild DeskTop's}.

2) a lot of my snd's lost their sound and had to be re-installed
    including snds not installed in the system file (???).

so far i haven't seen a single re-worked bomb dialog.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

milo@cartan.math.nd.edu (Greg Corson) (10/25/90)

I just tried two of GEnie's multiplayer games under 6.0.7 and discovered
some problems with sound.  One of these games I wrote.

Mac IIfx, some sounds don't play, some cause crashes
Mac IIsi, none of the sounds play
Mac Classic, no problems

I have tried other applications that use sound and have had no trouble.

I suspect the problem may be playing sounds asyncronusly on machines with
the Apple Sound Chip and 6.0.7.

If anyone can confirm or suggest solutions to this, please let me know!

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{uunet, rutgers}!iuvax!cartan!milo
milo@cartan
GEnie:  GCORSON

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (10/25/90)

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:

>In article <Ub9EJgS00WB8I_lkw6@andrew.cmu.edu> sm5g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott
>Hunter Morgan) writes:
>> - Why did they get rid of the "Set Aside" feature, I kinda liked it.

>The "Set Aside" feature is a feature of the MulitFinder version that comes
>with Sade.  It has never been a feature of any of the systems delivered to
>non-developers (don't ask me why).  So they didn't get rid of it...  Try
>using the "set-aside" MulitFinder with 6.07, it should work (I haven't
>upgraded yet, so I haven't tried it).

  Hmm... this "Set Aside" feature--am I right in understanding that it's an
option in the Apple menu that allows you to "hide" the current application
(make all its windows disappear from the screen and put it in background)?
Then it is in one system delivered to non-developers.  It's in the MultiFinder
6.9 (!) that comes with A/UX 2.0.  It's called "Hide..." instead of
"Set Aside...", but it's the same feature.  My personal opinion is that this
makes the A/UX MultiFinder 6.9 the first version of MultiFinder that's
actually usable :-).  Definitely well worth having.  I've heard rumours that
this feature will be in System 7.0; we can all hope...
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct24.223658.407@servalan.uucp> rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:
>"Set Aside...", but it's the same feature.  My personal opinion is that this
>makes the A/UX MultiFinder 6.9 the first version of MultiFinder that's
>actually usable :-).  Definitely well worth having.

Every Multifinder user to whom I have shown Set Aside... has WANTED it,
RIGHT NOW.

It's truly annoying that Apple is being so anal-retentive about keeping it out
of "real" releases.  They're just hurting their users.

Or does Set Aside give a Microsoft application fits? :-)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

bbs.vertigo@mudslide.spies.sf-bay.org (Kevyn Shortell) (03/16/91)

Add to the list of Applications that Hate Sys 6.0.7 Tracon the air traffic
control system, the screen is twice the normal size on a Classic meaning
that It's totally unplayable with half the screen off MY screen.
dont know what apple did with 6.0.7 but I hope they dont screw up 7 as bad.

nothing fancy here.

--
Kevyn Shortell (bbs.vertigo@mudslide.spies.sf-bay.org)

Spies in the Wire, PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX  -- (408) 867-7400

BPorter@world.std.com (Barry M Porter) (04/05/91)

I have been running System 6.0.7 on my 4 meg Plus  and now am running it
on a 4 meg Classic; and some very strange things are happening....

    Does anyone know if this system manages memory differently?  I keep running
out of memory; memory to run applications, DAs, windows, etc.  I am using a
generic 6.0.7 (i.e. for all Macs) -

        Now, I've always used the generic version of whatever system software I
install,because I take my hard drive with me to client sites. Suitcase and the
heap
and Finder have been adjusted. I don't get out of memory errors, I get odd
stuff; like a program giving me odd messages ("Error opening file" when I
tried to save an open file in Vantage).
The StyleWriter needs system 6.0.7 - so am I doomed for strange events?  Any
insight into my problems?  Anyone _know_ of any INIT conflicts, or other
anomalies?

   The Style Writer on the Plus .... well that's an experience in and of
itself. I
have to reboot every time I need to print out of a different program. And Mucho
memory ( -42) problems. MultiFinder is almost useless!

        So hey .... what am I missing here?  Where haven't I looked to
solve my twightlight zone like problems?

        Ilene, Message Manager BCS * Mac BBS
        On AOL: IleneH

wleshner@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (William S Leshner) (04/21/91)

I understand that to use TrueType I need to be running under system 6.0.7.
How can I get my hands on system 6.0.7, and while I'm at it, is there any
way to get TrueType?

Thanks.

mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason) (04/22/91)

>I understand that to use TrueType I need to be running under system 6.0.7.

I had heard that also, but seem to be getting the proper results on 6.0.5.
Can anyone speak the truth (whole and nothing but) about this please?

Thanks and Cheers...Gary
mason@habs11.enet.dec.com

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/23/91)

TrueType will run fine on 6.0.5. Apple tested it on 6.0.7 so
that's why they say it runs on 6.0.7. But give 6.0.7's bugs,
if you're running 6.0.5 you might as well keep that with
TrueType. Less than a month to 7.0, folks!!!!!!
--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that