[comp.sys.mac.misc] Just My Opinion: MS Word 4.0 vs. Nisus

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (04/09/91)

In article <17133@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes...
>[about Word and Nisus]

 To his comments let me add that I have tried the Nisus demo, and like it (but
 WHY didn't they include the help file?). My beefs are:

 o	RAM based. Uh-uh. Nope. Makes it darn hard to read LARGE files. Qued
 has the same problem.

 o	No tables. I use this Word feature ALL the time. I want this
 integrated, not some random add-on program.

 o	No color drawing on color Macs.

 If these things are fixed, I might buy Nisus, because it is nifty in other
 ways.

 ObParagonPeeve: What's happening with Qued? It's arguably the
 best text editor on the Mac. Upgrade it, guys! How about EZ-Grep for
 starters?

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (04/10/91)

In article <17133@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
> I would recommend Word if:
> -  you need the features Word has and Nisus lacks.
> -  you need to be compatible with other people who use Word.
> -  you have already mastered Word.

I just wanted to add one small note to Dave's evaluation: Nisus can
read Word 3 and Word 4 documents as long as they haven't been "fast"
saved. Nisus can also write Word 3 files.
Brad Hedstrom                Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Victoria                   Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-visions,ubc-cs}!sirius.UVic.CA!hedstrom
"A no smoking section in a restaurant is as effective
 as a no chlorine section in a swimming pool."

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (04/10/91)

In article <HEDSTROM.91Apr9125844@jacob.UVic.CA>, hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes...
>I just wanted to add one small note to Dave's evaluation: Nisus can
>read Word 3 and Word 4 documents as long as they haven't been "fast"

 Yes, but--in the demo at least--table formatting was not preserved. It would
 have been nice if Nisus had done something reasonable.

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (04/11/91)

In article <4338@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
> In article <HEDSTROM.91Apr9125844@jacob.UVic.CA>, hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes...
>>I just wanted to add one small note to Dave's evaluation: Nisus can
>>read Word 3 and Word 4 documents as long as they haven't been "fast"

> Yes, but--in the demo at least--table formatting was not preserved. It would
> have been nice if Nisus had done something reasonable.

You're right, it doesn't (I just tried it). I'm assuming that to
preserve the Word table, Nisus would have had to implement Word's
Table functionality (probably using the same data structures).

Do I smell some lawyers and maybe a bit of court action here? It does
seem to be the rage. Who's to say?

I would imagine that since Word's tables aren't PICTs (one can't copy
and past them except as text, all formatting is lost), they are
proprietary data structures that Microsoft isn't too keen on divulging
to its competitors.

Just a supposition...
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA                     (a.k.a. Brazil North)
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-visions,ubc-cs}!sirius.UVic.CA!hedstrom
"A no smoking section in a restaurant is as effective
 as a no chlorine section in a swimming pool."

george@hsvaic.boeing.com (George Williams) (04/11/91)

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) and dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David
Lee Matuszek) write about Nisus...
> >[about Word and Nisus]

>  To his comments let me add that I have tried the Nisus demo, and like it (but
>  WHY didn't they include the help file?). My beefs are:

>  o	RAM based. Uh-uh. Nope. Makes it darn hard to read LARGE files. Qued
>  has the same problem.

>  o	No tables. I use this Word feature ALL the time. I want this
>  integrated, not some random add-on program.

>  o	No color drawing on color Macs.

>  If these things are fixed, I might buy Nisus, because it is nifty in other
>  ways.

I also tried the demo, though only briefly.  I didn't switch from
FullWrite because one of the most important things to me is an
integrated outliner.  MSWord has one, but the user interface is awful.
I understand that there are other outliners (e.g., Acta) and other
word processing programs that either aren't as full-featured as
FullWrite or have ugly user interfaces.

Except for the outliner, I would probably have bought Nisus.  I really
like the idea of being able to use it to edit source code and have
font and style changes that I see but that the compilers don't.

Hmm..., What would an outline look like to a compiler?  I guess I'd
want the ability to say whether or not the titles, heading numbers,
and such were hidden (in the resource fork).

George Williams
Boeing Computer Services   Internet: george@hsvaic.boeing.com
POBox 240002, M/S JY-58    UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!george
Huntsville AL 35824-6402   Phone: 205+464-4968 FAX: 205+464-4930 BTN: 464-4968

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/11/91)

In article <4329@ryn.mro4.dec.com>,
long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> In article <17133@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes...
>>[about Word and Nisus]
>
>  To his comments let me add that I have tried the Nisus demo, and like it (but
>  WHY didn't they include the help file?). My beefs are:

To add more comments on still :-)

>  o	RAM based. Uh-uh. Nope. Makes it darn hard to read LARGE files. Qued
>  has the same problem.

I see this as a feature. Nisus is fast to do things because everything
is in RAM. Just yesterday I opened 53 files (over 1M of text) in Nisus
under the Finder so it could use all of my 8 MB of RAM. It was fast
and easy and only slightly slower than working with the two or three
files I usually have open. Not to mention then I could search for
anything in all open files instantaneously. To compare, I opened an
800K document in Word today and tried to save as TEXT. It must have
taken 5 minutes at least, if not longer. I'll take the speed any day,
although if you've got a decent amount of memory there should be no
problem with large files or lots of them.

>  o	No tables. I use this Word feature ALL the time. I want this
>  integrated, not some random add-on program.

Tables are pretty snazzy alright, though I find Word's implementation
clumsy. I'll bet that Nisus 4.0 will sport a super-cool table feature.
Comments from Jon Matousek on this?

> Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like

My opinion is that things like the GREP search and replace, powerful
macros (and who cares if they're a little slow in comparison to
AutoMac - they do so much more) and a programming language,
non-contiguous selection, character-based styles (much more powerful
than paragraph-based styles), and multiple user-defined command keys
(so I have Page Setup mapped to Command-P-S, far easier to remember
than Control-Option-F14 or whatever you could make it in any other
macro program) make Nisus the word processor of choice for people who
**really** work with text. And those 53 files I was talking about?
Those were the text files for each issue of TidBITS released so far, a
total of over 900,000 characters and almost 400 pages in the last
year. All of that was written and edited in Nisus. Check out
TidBITS#54 in comp.sys.mac.digest for other stats on the last year of
TidBITS along with information from our survey.

cheers ... -Adam

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
                         (also)  ace@tidbits.uucp

martin@cs.uchicago.edu (Charles Martin) (04/14/91)

In article <236@hsvaic.boeing.com>, george@hsvaic (George Williams) writes:
>I also tried the demo, though only briefly...

Is this demo disk generally available?

Charles Martin // martin@cs.uchicago.edu

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/14/91)

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes:

    [ ... deleted stuff ... ]

    [When you read a MS Word 3.0 or 4.0 file from Nisus]
>>     table formatting is not preserved.

>You're right, it doesn't (I just tried it). I'm assuming that to
>preserve the Word table, Nisus would have had to implement Word's
>Table functionality (probably using the same data structures).

>I would imagine that since Word's tables aren't PICTs (one can't copy
>and past them except as text, all formatting is lost), they are
>proprietary data structures that Microsoft isn't too keen on divulging
>to its competitors.

Nisus could provide the table funcionality by what ever means that it
would like to and I don't think that MS could sue over the ability to
create tables.  Remember that Lotus tried to sue someone over the look-
and-feel issue because their competator had used rows and columns.  The
judge ruled against Lotus because the row-and-column metaphor was tied
to the way that spread sheets worked (also Lotus didn't invent it, they
stole it from someone else.)

If Nisus wanted to provide the table functionality, there is no legal
reason form them not to.  I personally would like it if Nisus provided
the ability to read RTF files and use Claris' XTND file format reading
and writing technology.

      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \
   +-----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

sphynx@cs.mcgill.ca (Alain BIENVENUE) (04/23/91)

HELP! Here in Montreal, Canada there seems to be a new Macintosh virus.
We had all the protection, but suddenly files were bad ( error -127),
some floppy got erased, some were ejected. We ran all public and
commercial anti viral software but even if some of them found a virus,
they didn't knew what to do with it. We cant even get a dump of it with
virex. We cannot reformat everything since the virus is deadly and very
virulent. A lot of hard disks are affected. We have to isolate it but we
do not even know where to start.

Right now, i'm writing a program to get data on the hd without mounting
it, since if i mount the hd, my boot floppy ( even if it's locked) will
get damaged! Where should i start?

Alain Bienvenue or Francois Dion
(sphynx@bart.cs.mcgill.ca)

or if you have acces to fidonet: Christopher McCulloch, 1:167/170