[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 MF runs great!

TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) (04/19/91)

One thing that I have noticed about the full time mutlifinder in system 7.0FC1
is how smooth it runs, I run it for 4 hours with Vette, Tessarae, downline,
Zterm, Hypercard, and Launch qc all running at the same time.  There is no
jerkyness what so ever and no hesitation in loading the programs or switching
between the applications.  I am running an SE/30 with 5 megs (and I'm doing
this right now with all of those apps running). I figure if a sphere/specturm
holobyte game can run with everthing else, they must have done a great job with
system 7.0 being compatible with pre 7.0 applications. Just a note for those of
you who are curious :-)
                                         Todd

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (04/19/91)

From article <91109.032223TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu>, by TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra):
> One thing that I have noticed about the full time mutlifinder in system 7.0FC1
> is how smooth it runs....

1) Is 7.0FC1 a post Beta version?  I've been getting the customer Seed, which is
currently 7.0b6.  Is apple seeding different versions, or are developers still
getting the best peak?

2) How are network people testing sys 7.0? dealing with printerdriver problems.
I got copies of LW drivers 6.1 for the non-7.0? machines, but have had several
problems.

3) Is there a good concensious of compatibility with existing extension, inits,
etc. with 7.0?.  Utilities like Boomarang (sp?) don't work for me, and I don't
expect them to.  The drastic reworking of the finder command structure will
necessitate the rewrite of many applications as well, though they seem to
handle things well.

4) Application compatibility.  I'm finding nearly all 6.0 compatible apps.
work with 7.0b6.  Things created before 6.0 became the standard are more
iffy.

5) Installing extensions, etc.  The only real problem I've experienced has been
the default locations the sys folder wants to install.  While things usually
need to go where it wants, you often need copies or aliases in the root sys
as well.  If special locations are so unpredictable, are we (managers) going
to be stuck creating custom installers for all our existing application/exten-
sions etc.?  Obviously, future releases of the programs should deal with
the problems, but what about the transition.

6)  Just an observation....System 7.0 is the best improvement Apple has ever
made to the OS.  There are definite changes that will make problems for us
all, but I'm very impressed.  My first looks left me wondering.  With so many
bugs, the early betas were hard to install.  I hate using 6.0 machines now...

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (04/20/91)

In article <91109.032223TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu> TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) writes:
>One thing that I have noticed about the full time mutlifinder in system 7.0FC1
>is how smooth it runs, I run it for 4 hours with Vette, Tessarae, downline,

Really? Vette? When I ran it with 6.0.5 it "disabled" all background
tasks.  If memory serves it even stopped superclock.  It's been
several weeks sinced I played it. (didn't really care for the game and
took it back to the store).  Are you saying that it allows background
tasking in system 7 or that it will just run under MF?

Thanks,

Todd

--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail: tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.132551.25605@hubcap.clemson.edu> rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:

>3) Is there a good concensious of compatibility with existing extension, inits,
>etc. with 7.0?.  Utilities like Boomarang (sp?) don't work for me, and I don't
>expect them to.  The drastic reworking of the finder command structure will
>necessitate the rewrite of many applications as well, though they seem to
>handle things well.

Actually, SuperBoomerang 2.0.3 works just fine with System 7.0b6+ and
7.0FC1.  There is a small cosmetic problem in that the folder-pop down
that is a standard part of the SFDialog is located in the wrong place
(if you click where it SHOULD be, it appears and is usable).  Other than
that, SB has been working GREAT on my system.  Makes me quite happy--I
couldn't live without it.

>5) Installing extensions, etc.  The only real problem I've experienced has been
>the default locations the sys folder wants to install.  While things usually
>need to go where it wants, you often need copies or aliases in the root sys
>as well.  If special locations are so unpredictable, are we (managers) going
>to be stuck creating custom installers for all our existing application/exten-
>sions etc.?  Obviously, future releases of the programs should deal with
>the problems, but what about the transition.

Suprisingly many of the INITs I use regularly work without problems.  I
have found a number that prefer to be in the System Folder proper, not
in the Extensions folder, but that's ok (since they will be found their
anyway).  It's fairly simple to make an alias to the Control Panels
folder if you want an item to appear there.  I have found a few INITs I
was sure would NOT work under 7.0 that are quite happy. I didn't think
RAM-disks would be quite so happy, but they appear to work.  Huzzah.

--
| Paul Jacoby, 3M Company        |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) (04/23/91)

I also have found that many of the more "popular" inits seem to work fine under
system 7.0FC1, but to my dismay, most of my most useful DA's don't work at all
causing BUS errors (FlashWrite II, Easy Envelopes, Super Laser Spool, Can Opene
r, Disktools 3, and Type Align)
                                          Todd