[comp.sys.mac.misc] MS Word on Macintosh to MS Word on PC

rc05@gte.com (Ramesh Chandak) (04/18/91)

Looking for a program / technique / method that converts Word files on
Macintosh to Word / Word Perfect files on the PC ? any pointers / references ?

Thanx.

- Ramesh M. Chandak
rc05@gte.com
loverboy@athena.mit.edu--
- Ramesh M. Chandak
rc05@gte.com
loverboy@athena.mit.edu

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (04/19/91)

rc05@gte.com (Ramesh Chandak) writes:

RC> Looking for a program / technique / method that converts Word files on
RC> Macintosh to Word / Word Perfect files on the PC ? any pointers /
RC> references ?

    MS Word 4.0 for the Mac has an option in the "Save As..." box which
allows you to specify the format the file is saved in. One of the choices
is MS Word for MS-DOS.

    WordPerfect files are a little more work.  Word for the Mac will also
permit you to save files in "Rich Text Format."  There is an Apple File Exchange
document included with Word which converts from RTF to WordPerfect 4.x format.
If you want to convert to WordPerfect 5.0 or above, I don't know how to help
you.

 * Origin: mingo@cup.portal.com  mingo@well.sf.ca.us (1:109/421.4218)

murray@motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) (04/19/91)

rc05@bunny.UUCP writes:
>Looking for a program / technique / method that converts Word files on
>Macintosh to Word / Word Perfect files on the PC ? any pointers / references ?

MacLINK Plus is what you're looking for.  It can translate just about anything
into just about anything else.

=============================== Murray S. Kucherawy ==========================
Motorola Canada, Ltd.     Communications Division, Toronto      [on work term]
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada               2B Math/Computer Science
Internet: murray@motto.UUCP (work)       mskucherawy@watmath.UWaterloo.ca (UW)
UUCP:     uunet!utai!lsuc!motto!murray   uunet!watmath!mskucherawy

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) (04/20/91)

As pointed out in another post, you can simply use the Save As feature of
Word on the Mac to save a copy that can be transferred to Word on the PC.
However, when I do this, I lose things like smart quotes and other non-
standard characters like em-dash, etc.

Do any of the commercial translation packages make the process of dealing
with these non-standard ascii characters more elegant? Right now I have to
do a manual change of space" to appropriate quote character and so on. (OK,
so I have macros to do most of this, but I still have to run the macros.)

This would make transferring files between my Mac and MS-DOS notebook a lot
more fun, well, at least easy. :)

[BTW, we may be having problems with our posts from Penn State. If anyone
who reads this who is NOT getting their feed from CUNYVM could drop me a note,
I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.]

Scott D. Camp   Q8N@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Oswald Tower
University Park, PA  16802
814-863-0121

IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) (04/23/91)

In article <71@motto.UUCP>, murray@motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) says:

>MacLINK Plus is what you're looking for.  It can translate just about anything
>into just about anything else.

From where is this program available?  Price?

Annice