[comp.sys.mac.misc] Missing space

RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu (04/23/91)

Here is a question that I recall hearing about, but I don't recall the answer.
   I am losing space on my apple 40 meg hard disk, and I don't know where it
is going. If I do a "get info" on the hard disk, it tells me that there is
40,119,296 bytes used in storing 1,139 files. If I "get info" for the 8 folders
in the top level of the hard disk, and add up the numbers, I get 33,340,071
megs. Disk First Aid doesn't seem to do much, and mactools thinks the disk is
o.k. as well.
   I understand how small files take up more than they should because of
sector sizes and all that, but 7 megabytes seems a little extreme.
    Can anyone help me recover my lost space? (I feel a little bit like
will robinson.....)

Thanks very much,

Read Fritsch
rafst3@vms.cis.pitt.edu

tvex@milton.u.washington.edu (t@vex) (04/23/91)

In article <87B9659D00FF202205@vms.cis.pitt.edu> RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu writes:
>Here is a question that I recall hearing about, but I don't recall the answer.
>   I am losing space on my apple 40 meg hard disk, and I don't know where it
>is going. If I do a "get info" on the hard disk, it tells me that there is
>40,119,296 bytes used in storing 1,139 files. If I "get info" for the 8 folders
>in the top level of the hard disk, and add up the numbers, I get 33,340,071
>megs. Disk First Aid doesn't seem to do much, and mactools thinks the disk is
>o.k. as well.
>   I understand how small files take up more than they should because of
>sector sizes and all that, but 7 megabytes seems a little extreme.
>    Can anyone help me recover my lost space? (I feel a little bit like
>will robinson.....)

The only thing I can think of that may be giving you grief is that someone
somewhere somehow initialized your hard drive with an enormous a/ux partition.
There is a default a/ux partition which is inititialized by Apple's HD setup
(the version # escapes me) when you run the app under its default setting
rather than the "custom" partitioning available. This partition (from what I've
seen, anyway) doesn't exceed around 2 megs. You might run HD setup or a similar
initialization utility just to have a look under the hood and see how your hd
has been parcelled out. I have no use for a/ux at present and was able to
rescue about 1.5 megs. Just a thought.