[comp.sys.mac.misc] DBase MacDOWN

jmatthews@desire.wright.edu (04/18/91)

> In article <HESKETT.91Apr7144932@polymnia.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>,
> heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
> MacExpress is offering DBase-Mac, originally priced around $250, for
> $59. Anyone know the why of the big price cut?

Didn't Ashton Tate get an adverse court ruling recently? One that might
jeorpardize their copyright on dBASE?

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr17.232000.3281@desire.wright.edu> jmatthews@desire.wright.edu writes:
>> In article <HESKETT.91Apr7144932@polymnia.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>,
>> heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
>> MacExpress is offering DBase-Mac, originally priced around $250, for
>> $59. Anyone know the why of the big price cut?
>
>Didn't Ashton Tate get an adverse court ruling recently? One that might
>jeorpardize their copyright on dBASE?

That had no impact on dBASE Mac, a product which had (unfortunately for
its name) no heritage at all from PC dBASE (but it did have a Mac
interface - that's another story).

The price cut is because (a) we've sold dBASE Mac to Nu Era Software,
who is working on a new release under the name NuBase (I believe),
and (b) because we've released dBASE IV RunTime PLUS for the Macintosh,
a completely different product: dBASE IV binary compatible (.DBO as well
as .PRG and .DBF) with the MSDOS, Sun, and VAX/VMS versions, but no
graphical stuff in the language (yet). dBASE Mac owners have upgrade
options to either dBASE IV or NuBase.

--Cy--
cy@dbase.a-t.com
DISCLAIMER: I worked on the development team for both products.
My words, not A-T's.

MSDOS