[comp.sys.mac.misc] UUCP type utilities?

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr21.141824.2484@contact.uucp> rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) writes:

>Does anyone know of a package of utilities for the Mac that handle UUCP-style
>exchanges of e-mail?

There are two PD/shareware versions I know of: UUPC and gnuucp.  Gnuucp is
"friendlier", featuring a HyperCard-based mail reader/editor, but the
performance is terrible (~70cps at 9600 baud).  UUPC offers reasonable
transfer speeds, but has no "Mac-like" interface.  If you would like to
talk to someone using these two packages, send email to either:

 cboard!lights!cjr@natasha.oswego.edu
   or
 cboard!galini!nicktrou@natasha.oswego.edu

>As well, I'm interested in a program that handles
>net-news transfers and reading of net-news.

The only one of these I've heard of is UaXcess, a commercial product
which has gotten very favorable reviews, but is pretty expensive.  You
could use either UUPC or gnuucp to receive news by mail, though.

>Ideally, I'd like to use this
>in an AppleShare lab, with all the mail & news files on the server where
>every machine can access them.

This is a little tougher.  I'm not sure what (if anything) is available for
this. I think UaXcess may provide this capability, but UUPC and gnuucp
are designed to be used with modems (or directly connected) individual
macs, just like "real" UUCP (which is what you asked for, right?).

>If something like this is not available (short of A/UX ugh!), I'll probably
>port them from Unix myself....

Let me know if you port something.