[comp.sys.mac.misc] compression utilities

petechen@porthos.rutgers.edu (Peter Chen) (04/24/91)

Hi,
	I would like to hear about what people think of the following
compression utilities:
	Stuffit Deluxe
	DiskDoubler
	CompactorPro
in term of:

1. What does the package include: init, cdev, application?
2. Does the package provide compression and decompression on the fly,
   i.e., opening a compressed file from another application, and the
   file automatically gets decompressed. (This probably have direct
   correlation with whether an init is included.)
3. Can the package produce self-extracting files?
4. Compression speed/compression ratio trade-off
5. Other extra capabilities

After some preliminary research, my impression is that all these three
packages come in the form of applications.  If I recall correctly,
DiskDoubler also includes an init which allows you to compress files on
the fly.

In all cases, all replies are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

PeteChen
petechen@cs.rutgers.edu
Microcomputer Resource Center
Rutgers University

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/25/91)

Check out TidBITS#42/Compression - available in the digest subdir at
sumex and in the TidBITS subdir at rascal.ics.utexas.edu via FTP. Ken
Hancock and I did a comparison of them. We're probably doing another
issue on the subject relatively soon that will include the forthcoming
SuperDisk! and the new DiskDoubler (due in early June).

cheers ... Adam

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
                         (also)  ace@tidbits.uucp