[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why is FileGuard crashing?

czinngra@skat.usc.edu (Claude Zinngrabe) (04/25/91)

Hello all you netters!

I just obtained a copy of FileGuard v2.5 and installed it on my Mac
IIcx. For some reason, whenever I start MS Word 4.00d, it runs fine
for a few minutes and then for no apparent reason it freezes and
MacsBug calls an error #28 (stak into app heap).

I have quite a few inits/cdevs installed on my machine - it would take
hours to debug the startup sequence, so I wonder, does anyone out
there have some idea, or better yet a list, of known init conflicts
with FileGuard v2.5?  Or am I installing it wrong??

Thanx in advance,

Cj Zinngrabe

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (04/25/91)

In article <32248@usc> czinngra@skat.usc.edu (Claude Zinngrabe) writes:
>I just obtained a copy of FileGuard v2.5 and installed it on my Mac
>IIcx. For some reason, whenever I start MS Word 4.00d, it runs fine
>for a few minutes and then for no apparent reason it freezes and
>MacsBug calls an error #28 (stak into app heap).

I had the same problem when I logged out on a IIfx.  The Fileguard loggin
dialog would show up; after a while the screen saver (After Dark) would fire
and some time later (several minutes typically), the error #28 would strike.
I also have Fileguard installed on 7 IIcx with Pyro 3.0 as screen saver and
I haven't noticed this behavior.  But there is also a difference in the
number of Inits on the cx's and the IIfx (a _LOT_ on the fx).

I removed Fileguard from the fx so I didn't have to look which init was
doing that.  Sorry :-).

Jerome

Jerome Plun            []  Is it a crime to want something else?
jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu    []  Is it a crime to believe in something different?
Washington University  []
St Louis, MO           []  "Smalltown England", New Model Army, Vengeance