[comp.sys.mac.misc] Textures vs OzTeX

chase@igor.princeton.edu (Chris Chase) (04/21/91)

I am interested in a comparison of Textures versus OzTeX.
Specifically I am interested in the advantages of Textures
(version 1.3) to know if it is a worthwhile investment as
compared to the public domain OzTeX.

Also, has anyone gotten psfig to work with either Textures or
OzTeX?

Thanks,
Chris Chase
--
EE Department
Princeton University

kap1@carol.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) (04/21/91)

>I am interested in a comparison of Textures versus OzTeX.
>Specifically I am interested in the advantages of Textures
>(version 1.3) to know if it is a worthwhile investment as
>compared to the public domain OzTeX.

I've used both packages and determined the following: OzTeX is better and
certainly cheaper. :-)

The reasons for this conclusion:

o	OzTeX uses unmodified pk files.  Therefor you can download pk font
	files directly from a unix box without having to change them to
	FONT files. (A hairy proposition, if you don't have MPW or
	access to a UNIX box).

o	OzTeX, although slower, is in my opinion slicker, i.e. the more
	polished (sp?) product.

o	OzTeX will produce postscript files directly, including any
	mac-postscript files specified by the \special command. Therefor
	it is not necessary to use the \psfig package.

o	Using DVI272IMG (or something like that) you can print to a
	non-postscript print, and include PICT files similar to the
	mac-postscript inclusion mechanism.

Basically, I don't see any reason to *buy* a TeX product when such a good
PD product is available. Note: OzTeX is not amateurish by any stretch of the imagination.  I've never gotten a system bomb from using it, something I can't
claim for Textures.

Hope this helps,

Dietrich Kappe
kap1@math.binghamton.edu

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) (04/23/91)

kap1@carol.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) writes:

>o	OzTeX, although slower, is in my opinion slicker, i.e. the more
>	polished (sp?) product.

>Basically, I don't see any reason to *buy* a TeX product when such a good
>PD product is available. Note: OzTeX is not amateurish by any stretch of the imagination.  I've never gotten a system bomb from using it, something I can't
>claim for Textures.

Apparently the author of OzTeX (I think his name is Andrew Trevorrow) is on
first name terms with Knuth (the creator of TeX, amongst other things) and
considered to be quite a programmer.
--
+ John Mazzocchi              +   "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, +
+ Melbourne, Victoria         +    but a fire to be lighted" - Plutarch   +

schorsch@oxy.edu (04/26/91)

In article <KAP1.91Apr21131644@carol.math.binghamton.edu>
kap1@carol.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) writes:
>>I am interested in a comparison of Textures versus OzTeX.
>>Specifically I am interested in the advantages of Textures
>>(version 1.3) to know if it is a worthwhile investment as
>>compared to the public domain OzTeX.
>
>I've used both packages and determined the following: OzTeX is better and
>certainly cheaper. :-)

where can I get OzTeX??? FTP site??? thanks!
-Brent
schorsch@oxy.edu

p.s.: can anyone recommend a book that will help me to use it? I am unfamiliar
with TeX, but I know about typesetting stuff & am a Math Major.