[comp.sys.mac.misc] Word 4.00D odd table problem with Carriage return

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/25/91)

Here's an odd problem I discovered recently in Word 4.00D (actually,
Word 4.00x):

Open a new Document.
Insert six carriage-returns (see below--the number is irrelevant).
After the 3rd carriage-return, add a few lines of tab-delimited text.
Select the lines just entered and Insert Table (tab-delimited).
Now select the three carriage-returns above the table.
Press the Return key (to replace the 3 CRs with just 1).

At this point, the three carriage returns BEFORE the table go away, and
a carriage return is ADDED to the first cell of the table!

It doesn't matter how many CR's you select of those before the table;
as long as you _do_ select the CR that is just before the table.
When you press the Return key, the selected CRs will be deleted, and a
CR will be added to the the first cell in the table.

Odd behavior, it seems to me.  Any ideas?  Microsoft?

    Paul

    p.s. On a related note, has anyone found an easy way to add a
    carriage return before a table which is the FIRST item in a
    document?  Is there a way to do it without cutting the whole table,
    hitting Return a few times, and then pasting the table back in?
--
.--------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Paul Jacoby, 3M Company        |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (04/26/91)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>    p.s. On a related note, has anyone found an easy way to add a
>    carriage return before a table which is the FIRST item in a
>    document?  Is there a way to do it without cutting the whole table,
>    hitting Return a few times, and then pasting the table back in?

There actually is a specific command to do just that (I've added it to
my menu in Word since I could never remember the key sequence assigned
to it, oh, it's command-option spacebar).  When you go to the
"Commands..." item in the Edit menu you get the list of all possible
commands, scroll down the list to the item named "Insert <paragraph
sign> Above Row," you can then find out what key you have
currently assigned to that command and/or assign a new key
command to it and/or put it on a menu. This command also works
to split a table into two pieces by putting a non-table new line
above any current row in a table.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.210104.11197@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>Here's an odd problem I discovered recently in Word 4.00D (actually,
>Word 4.00x):
>
>It doesn't matter how many CR's you select of those before the table;
>as long as you _do_ select the CR that is just before the table.
>When you press the Return key, the selected CRs will be deleted, and a
>CR will be added to the the first cell in the table.
>
>Odd behavior, it seems to me.  Any ideas?  Microsoft?

It doesn't sound odd to me: When you hit the return key the programme
will first delete the CRs, then
	break: note that the cursor is now in front of the table, i.e.
		in the first cell
add a CR which ends up in the first cell.
>    Paul
>
>    p.s. On a related note, has anyone found an easy way to add a
>    carriage return before a table which is the FIRST item in a
>    document?  Is there a way to do it without cutting the whole table,
>    hitting Return a few times, and then pasting the table back in?

MS Word has a command that is called something like: insert return
before current row. You can access it through "Commands" or add it to
your menu.
>--
>| Paul Jacoby, 3M Company        |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |
>| ** pejacoby@3m.com **          |  perfectly good airplane?         |
Andreas J. Guelzow
<guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>