[comp.sys.mac.misc] Pirating games!

cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu (04/17/91)

Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
that do also.

kanderso@liege.ics.uci.edu (Ken Anderson) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
>Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
>that do also.

Does anyone know if this is a practical joke?  Probably the person whose
account this was sent from is unaware that it was sent.  I can't imagine
anyone in a reasonable state of mind would post this message delibrately.

Ken Anderson
Ken Anderson                           |  "I'd much rather live in perfection,
U.C. Irvine                            |   than deal with reality." -- Kenbod

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
>Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
>that do also.

  Uhhhh.....  April's Fool Day was 15 days ago.  I think this message is a
little bit late, what say?

|      J. Taggart Gorman Jr.     | "I'm a no rust build up man myself."
|                                |          -Christian Slater
| jtgorman@caslon.cs.arizona.edu |             in 'Heathers'

In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
>Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
>that do also.

Sure, just post your name, address, Social Security number, any identifying
marks, etc, and some people from an organization called the SPA will be glad
to discuss this with you.

sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) (04/17/91)

In <280B68AB.18908@ics.uci.edu>, kanderso@ics.uci.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
>>Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
>>that do also.
>
>Does anyone know if this is a practical joke?  Probably the person whose
>account this was sent from is unaware that it was sent.  I can't imagine
>anyone in a reasonable state of mind would post this message delibrately.

Well it is kind of a interesting aproch, who would think that somebody would
be thick headed enough to do that.

--
sven@cs.widener.edu                                  Widener CS system manager
Sven Mike Heinicke                                          and Student

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
>Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
>that do also.

This same account was used to post a ridiculous article in alt.sex (which I
won't include since c.s.m.m is a family newsgroup :-).  Looks like another
case of a cs-101 student who forgot to log out and the clever (ha) practical
joker who exploited it.  Ah, those classic undergrad japes!

Alan (yes, really me)

|  Alan R Fry                       |   You know what I hate?                 |
|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |   Rhetorical questions.                 |

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu>, cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
>Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
>that do also.

	Yes, I pirate games.  I also run over children playing in the
street, torture small animals to hear them scream, and take tax deductions
for work expenses like safecracking supplies.

	We can only hope that this guy is kidding...

  John Price                   | Internet: price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | SPAN:     uclapp::price
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/18/91)

Get this A**hole off of the net...

Steve

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.175320.10527@news.iastate.edu> xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:

>Get this A**hole off of the net...
>
>Steve

Why do people do this?  Do they think it's too offensive to write
"asshole?"  If so, do they think it's somehow less offensive to write
"a**hole?"

"look, Marge, he called someone an apehole!"  Give me a break.  Either
you have the courgae to use the word or you don't.

J*ff S***ivan

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/18/91)

J*ff,
	Actually I didn't want to offend anyone if they don't condone such
language use...

Steve

kms@pro-permian.cts.com (Kevin M. Smallwood) (04/18/91)

        I hope you know what you just did. You basically told thousands of
people what an idiot you are, and where to find you. You had better hope
you don't get reported to any anti-piracy agencies. You'd be amazed at the
penalties they could levy against you...

        On to other matters -- I have a Mac Plus that has been plugging
away faithfully since the day I bought it (new). I am wanting to know a few
things about it.

        1) With 1 meg of memory, am I able to run the latest system
software? (Also, what IS the latest version? I haven't touched my Mac in
months)

        2) If it won't run the latest software, what is a Mac+ worth these
days?

Thank you.
|                                             |                              |
| ProLine  :   kms@pro-permian                | Kevin M. Smallwood           |
| Internet :   kms@pro-permian.cts.com        | 4415 Northcrest Drive #2816  |
| UUCP     :   crash!pro-permian!kms          | Midland, Texas  79707        |
| ARPA     :   crash!pro-permian!kms@nosc.mil | (915) 520-3011 (Voice)       |
| AOL      :   kms2                           | (915) 520-3010 (Modem)       |
|_____________________________________________|______________________________|

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.021454.20472@news.iastate.edu> xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>J*ff,
>	Actually I didn't want to offend anyone if they don't condone such
>language use...
>
>Steve

AARRGHH!!  Then why did you use it??  EVERYONE who read your article knew
EXACTLY what the word was, so if they were offendable, THEY WERE OFFENDED!
Two measily little asterisks aren't going to fool anybody.  I agree with
Jeff.  If you're going to use profanity, USE IT, else DON'T, but don't wimp
out.

    JohnC

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

ghe@physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (04/19/91)

In article <8670@crash.cts.com>, kms@pro-permian.cts.com (Kevin M. Smallwood) writes:

|>         1) With 1 meg of memory, am I able to run the latest system
|> software? (Also, what IS the latest version? I haven't touched my Mac in
|> months)

Yes. You should be able to run the lastest system (6.0.7) with 1 meg.

|> Thank you.

You're welcome.

|>  ____________________________________________________________________________
|> |                                             |                              |
|> | ProLine  :   kms@pro-permian                | Kevin M. Smallwood           |
|> | Internet :   kms@pro-permian.cts.com        | 4415 Northcrest Drive #2816  |
|> | UUCP     :   crash!pro-permian!kms          | Midland, Texas  79707        |
|> | ARPA     :   crash!pro-permian!kms@nosc.mil | (915) 520-3011 (Voice)       |
|> | AOL      :   kms2                           | (915) 520-3010 (Modem)       |
|> |_____________________________________________|______________________________|

---
  Guangliang He
  ghe@physics.orst.edu

swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) (04/19/91)

In article <8670@crash.cts.com> kms@pro-permian.cts.com (Kevin M. Smallwood) writes:

>        I hope you know what you just did. You basically told thousands of
>people what an idiot you are, and where to find you. You had better hope
>you don't get reported to any anti-piracy agencies. You'd be amazed at the
>penalties they could levy against you...

Gads. I can't believe that the butthead who posted the original piracy
message is from MY school. Maybe I'll ask around and try to find this
guy just to see if he's for real or not. Anyone sent mail to
root@shazam.ecs.csus.edu to see what the sys admin thinks of messages like
that? I think I will.

>        On to other matters -- I have a Mac Plus that has been plugging
>away faithfully since the day I bought it (new). I am wanting to know a few
>things about it.
>
>        1) With 1 meg of memory, am I able to run the latest system
>software? (Also, what IS the latest version? I haven't touched my Mac in
>months)

The latest released-to-the-general-populace system software is 6.0.7 (7.0 is
still in beta-testing, I believe). Before I upgraded my Plus to beyond 1 meg,
I felt a little cramped running 6.0.x, but it's feasible with a Minimum Plus
setup (you tell the Installer to fix you up with just enough goodies to
operate the Plus and no other Mac model). Well, it's feasible if you have a
hard drive. Before I got one, I stuck with system 3.2, which originally came
with my machine back in '86. With a two-floppy system, I had the application
on one floppy, and the system folder plus room for documents on the other
floppy (I hate disk-swapping).

>        2) If it won't run the latest software, what is a Mac+ worth these
>days?

Realize that your Plus is worth much more to you right now than it is to
anyone else. That is, it's probably worth a lot more to you than what you
could get for it (I think I read Apple has its trade-in value at $200).
For my purposes the Plus is still fine. I do mostly programming and word
processing, so I don't need color, a huge screen, or ultra-fast floating-
point processing. Unless you need capabilities your machine ain't got,
like the above, invest in some more RAM and a hard drive if you don't have
one already. I initially upgraded to 2.5 meg so I could run the source-level
debugger of Think C, but just recently went to 4 megs in anticipation of
system 7.

>Thank you.
>|                                             |                              |
>| ProLine  :   kms@pro-permian                | Kevin M. Smallwood           |
>| Internet :   kms@pro-permian.cts.com        | 4415 Northcrest Drive #2816  |
>| UUCP     :   crash!pro-permian!kms          | Midland, Texas  79707        |
>| ARPA     :   crash!pro-permian!kms@nosc.mil | (915) 520-3011 (Voice)       |
>| AOL      :   kms2                           | (915) 520-3010 (Modem)       |
>|_____________________________________________|______________________________|

   /Dennis M. Swanson --> swansond@csus.edu         /   "He was as calm as a/
  /Macintosh Lab Assistant/Computer Science Student/   Perry Como groupie."/
 /University Computing and Communications Services/       -- Sledge Hammer/
/California State University, Sacramento         /"Harness the Macpower!"/

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (04/19/91)

I think that a person such as this draws attention to a fact that nobody wants to admit:  People do pirate games on the Macintosh, and on any other computer,
and this stands as a problem in the industry.  Perhaps if software these
days wasn't so overpriced and didn't have the tendency to be BAD software
in general, and poorly supported, these activities wouldn't happen as much.
Personally, I do not pirate games, but have friends that do -- it's a problem
that has no real practical solution.  Face it, if you are going to put
out crap on the market, people aren't going to pay for it.  While I won't
condone piracy, I do believe in try before you by -- hence, I think that
if it's worth your hard disk or usage, you had better get your ass to the
store and buy a legit copy.  I think it's not that hard to make a demo of
a game -- game programming in general is rather difficult.  Put out demos,
and let people TRY BEFORE THEY BUY.  Damn, the only game on the market
for the Mac that I'd consider buying right now is OIDS.

P.S.  ORIGIN SYSTEMS, wherever you are, release Ultima 6 -- a series of games
that I've always bought and been quite happy -- delighted -- with -- for the
Macintosh in color!!!!

Not to stir up,

Steve Klingsporn

sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) (04/19/91)

In <1991Apr18.181335.23350@midway.uchicago.edu>, jcav@quads.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr18.021454.20472@news.iastate.edu> xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>
>AARRGHH!!  Then why did you use it??  EVERYONE who read your article knew
>EXACTLY what the word was, so if they were offendable, THEY WERE OFFENDED!
>Two measily little asterisks aren't going to fool anybody.  I agree with
>Jeff.  If you're going to use profanity, USE IT, else DON'T, but don't wimp
>out.

What about FCC ratings, maby not over internet (due to its
international status) but if apple get that wave length opproved will
saying, this, unwarnted words be alowed if there is some kind of
public use for thies.  On movies on tv they do just that, beep out the
unwanted words and everybody always know what there saying.  So
putting asterisks there will make a differance from the point of the
people who make the rules.

--

erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) (04/19/91)

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:

> In article <1991Apr18.021454.20472@news.iastate.edu> xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU
> >J*ff,
> >	Actually I didn't want to offend anyone if they don't condone such
> >language use...
> >
> >Steve
>
> AARRGHH!!  Then why did you use it??  EVERYONE who read your article knew
> EXACTLY what the word was, so if they were offendable, THEY WERE OFFENDED!
> Two measily little asterisks aren't going to fool anybody.  I agree with
> Jeff.  If you're going to use profanity, USE IT, else DON'T, but don't wimp
> out.
>
>     JohnC
>
> --
> John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
> University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 14
> Office of Facilities Management     |            Chicago, IL  60637
> B0 f++ w c+ g+ k s(+) e+ h- pv      | Telephone: 312-702-6900

John,

Following your logic as I understand it...If I think about killing
someone, then I might as well actually kill someone?

Personally, I would rather not see profanity on the Net and asterisks at
least lighten things up a little.  Of course a private mail message
should be able to contain profanity if you want.

My opinion.

Mike

E-Mail: erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb)
USPS  : Michael R. Erb
        PO Box 6770
        Ithaca, NY  14851-6770
Phone : (607) 277-4326

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (04/20/91)

In article <-16_GQ#@cs.widener.edu> sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) writes:

>In <1991Apr18.181335.23350@midway.uchicago.edu>, jcav@quads.uchicago.edu writes:
>>In article <1991Apr18.021454.20472@news.iastate.edu> xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>>
>>AARRGHH!!  Then why did you use it??  EVERYONE who read your article knew
>>EXACTLY what the word was, so if they were offendable, THEY WERE OFFENDED!
>>Two measily little asterisks aren't going to fool anybody.  I agree with
>>Jeff.  If you're going to use profanity, USE IT, else DON'T, but don't wimp
>>out.
>>

>What about FCC ratings, maby not over internet (due to its
>international status) but if apple get that wave length opproved will
>saying, this, unwarnted words be alowed if there is some kind of
>public use for thies.  On movies on tv they do just that, beep out the
>unwanted words and everybody always know what there saying.  So
>putting asterisks there will make a differance from the point of the
>people who make the rules.
>
>--
>sven@cs.widener.edu                                  Widener CS system manager
>Sven Mike Heinicke                                          and Student
>(pssmheinicke@cyber.widener.edu (if you must))

Are you sure?  I disagree.  Most people do *not* know what they're
saying when they drop out expletives on air.  A lot do, but certainly
not most.  Besides, you're talking about somehting that hasn't even
been approved yet, let alone implemented.  I'm sure that there will
have to be new FCC regulations to cover it.

For example:

I am on my BroadNet(tm) sending a chapter of my new novel to my
editor.  Does this mean I have to ** out all of the profanity in the
document?

I am a lawyer, sending a deposition to a client or court or another
lawyer.  Do I have to go through and ** out any 'bad words?'

You see where your analogy goes.  Right in the shitter.  (oops ;-)

jas

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (04/20/91)

In article <-16_GQ#@cs.widener.edu> sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) writes:
>In <1991Apr18.181335.23350@midway.uchicago.edu>, jcav@quads.uchicago.edu writes:
>>In article <1991Apr18.021454.20472@news.iastate.edu> xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>>
>>AARRGHH!!  Then why did you use it??  EVERYONE who read your article knew
>>EXACTLY what the word was, so if they were offendable, THEY WERE OFFENDED!

>What about FCC ratings, maby not over internet (due to its
>international status) but if apple get that wave length opproved will
>saying, this, unwarnted words be alowed if there is some kind of
>public use for thies.  On movies on tv they do just that, beep out the
>unwanted words and everybody always know what there saying.  So
>putting asterisks there will make a differance from the point of the
>people who make the rules.

Ah, but this is the internet, and is quite different from what you are
talking about.  I have to agree with the people in support for just
spelling it out.  If you're going to swear than do it.  You speak of
public television and radio where the shows are edited before they are
broadcasted. There is no such facility in place on the internet.
Who/what is going to scan our messages for profanity before they get
posted?  Is there going to be some program that searches your post for
a predefined list of "no-no"s?  If so how would you implement it?
It's not as simple as saying the rule makers don't approve of it.

Todd
--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail: tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
> Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
> that do also.

Why bother when the best Mac software is free (well, beerware)?  FTP over to
Stanford and pick up Continium 1.3.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) (04/22/91)

From holtzman@shazam.ecs.csus.edu Sat Apr 20 16:08:42 1991
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 16:11:05 pst
From: Jim Holtzman <holtzman@shazam.ecs.csus.edu>
To: swansond@csus.edu
Subject: Mac Games

I want to think all of you for making me aware of the advertisements.  We
are already aware of what has happened and are correcting the problem.
A student or students are playing a joke on another and will be taken care of.
James Holtzman, root, Shazam

I guess it wasn't for real, as someone else had suggested. Being such a
high-numbered course (184 -- typically senior level classes here), I
figured the person knew what he/she was doing. Well, I've been told that
it's one of the beginning computer classes for the major, so it's entirely
possible the account-holder didn't log out and someone else came along and
made mischief.

	Den

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:

   Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
   that do also.

No, I'm sorry.  No one else pirates Mac games.  Sorry!

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "Just sitting
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |  here, on the
(617) 894-6859 or 647-3720  | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |  Group W Bench"

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (04/26/91)

In article <ALAND.91Apr21233450@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.193517.16565@csusac.csus.edu> cp18421@shazam.ecs.csus.edu writes:
>
>   Hey Does anyone pirate Mac games?  I do and I would like to trade with those
>   that do also.
>
>No, I'm sorry.  No one else pirates Mac games.  Sorry!

And, as a bit of advice, even if EVERYONE here pirated games or anything
else, it would not be too bright to blab it over internet.  Doing that is
like taking out a full-page add in all major newspapers and calling the FBI,
only worse.
--
---
Michael Weiss                     |    School of Engineering     \ /