[net.music] RGB to NTSC compsite, HELP

panglos@homxa.UUCP (N.TABATABAIE) (07/24/85)

Does anyone know of a commercially available adaptor that converts the RGB video
signal to NTSC composite standard? I whish to record the video information from
my PC display direrctly on a video tape but the VCRs and even Lser Disc Recorderthat I have been able to find only accept composite color video signals. Any in-formation is greatly appreciated.
                                               Ned Tabatabaie
                                               Bell Communications Research
                                               Holmdel, New Jersey
                                               ihnp4!homxa!panglos
                                               (201) 949-3674

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/27/85)

In article <1047@homxa.UUCP> panglos@homxa.UUCP (N.TABATABAIE) writes:
>Does anyone know of a commercially available adaptor that
>converts the RGB video
>signal to NTSC composite standard?

This isn't terribly helpful, but a video-hacker friend of mine reported
that this is very complecated but he had heard of a chip that would do
it with a lot of external support.
--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

Lord Fred:"Because I said I am."

Wang Zeep:"Seriously."

Lord Fred:"Look, it works for every other religion."

> Does anyone know of a commercially available adaptor that converts the RGB video
> signal to NTSC composite standard? ...

	What you want is commonly called a ``NTSC color encoder''.  We have one
manufactured by Lenco Inc., Electronics Division, Jackson, Missouri, telephone
314/243-3147.  It is P/N CCE-850.
	You probably won't like the price, though, since this is an industrial
quality unit (you should see the price on the *broadcast* quality units!).
	You might want to give Lenco a call and see if they have something
less expensive.  I don't know offhand who would manufacture an inexpensive
color encoder; the other outfits we have dealt with - Conrac and Grass Valley -
make Lenco look cheap by comparison.
	I don't travel much in 'PC circles', so I don't know if something
inexpensive is on the market which is aimed at PC users.

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"