[comp.sys.mac.misc] Where can I get all the old TidBITS issues?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/22/91)

I see that rascal and sumex both have some of the TidBITS stacks
archived, but rascal doesn't appear to have all 53 of them, and sumex
only seems to have issues starting from last October.

Where can I find all the back issues?  Is there any place where I can
get one file of all the old issues merged together, rather than having
to download and merge each of them myself?

Thanks for any information!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/25/91)

In article <8563@idunno.Princeton.EDU>,
bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> I see that rascal and sumex both have some of the TidBITS stacks
> archived, but rascal doesn't appear to have all 53 of them, and sumex
> only seems to have issues starting from last October.

To tell the truth, I don't know. I've sent ALL the issues to the
various sites, so if some aren't there, then they've been purged. Many
TidBITS issues are very temporal short of the review lists, so that's
not entirely unreasonable in this world of limited storage.

> Where can I find all the back issues?  Is there any place where I can
> get one file of all the old issues merged together, rather than having
> to download and merge each of them myself?

Well, I have all the back issues, of course. Everything leaves my Mac
at 2400 baud over a uucp link, so I can send them out ONCE to someone
who would guarantee that they would remain at that site and that that
site would carry ALL TidBITS issues so people could always get them
there. I think issue #22 to the present are easily available, so if
anyone wishes to volunteer an FTP site, I'll send 1-21 to that person.

And you don't really want to get the complete TidBITS Archive of all
issues over the networks  - it's pushing 4MB now and compresses to a
bit under 2 MB with DiskDoubler or Compact Pro. Binhex that sucker and
you're network link will hate you. Not to mention the hours I'd have
to spend uploading at 2400 baud - ick.

> Thanks for any information!

You're welcome - I'd more obliging if I had a real Internet link
rather than the uucp feed (which I'm still extremely fond of, mind
you!) I've got now.

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
                         (also)  ace@tidbits.uucp

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.212345.4250@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>In article <8563@idunno.Princeton.EDU>,
>bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>> I see that rascal and sumex both have some of the TidBITS stacks
>> archived, but rascal doesn't appear to have all 53 of them, and sumex
>> only seems to have issues starting from last October.
>
>To tell the truth, I don't know. I've sent ALL the issues to the
>various sites, so if some aren't there, then they've been purged. Many
>TidBITS issues are very temporal short of the review lists, so that's
>not entirely unreasonable in this world of limited storage.

I have almost all at nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100).  pub/mac/doc is the
place to search.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ============================
 P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)