[comp.sys.mac.misc] - - H E Y --> What is WINDOWS cdev !!!

david@sherpa.UUCP (Dave Quarles) (04/23/91)

From article <1991Apr20.020703.22004@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio):

>   There is a CDEV called Windows, or something like that, which lets
> you select what type of window style you want to use, plus it moves
> the gadgets around. Another lets you drag a window from any part of the
> border (that's the one I like to use).

>     David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>
>                    Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

What is this thing David T. is talking about ???

Can you shed any light on this ????

Thanks for your time and help.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   Dave   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

normane@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Norman Craig Emery) (04/27/91)

david@sherpa.UUCP (Dave Quarles) writes:
> >   There is a CDEV called Windows, or something like that, which lets
> > you select what type of window style you want to use, plus it moves
> > the gadgets around. Another lets you drag a window from any part of the
> > border (that's the one I like to use).
>
> >     David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
> >
> >                    Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> What is this thing David T. is talking about ???
>
> Can you shed any light on this ????
>
> Thanks for your time and help.
>

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   Dave   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    This cdev was written by a bloke called Marsh Gosnell, who (last
time I looked) lives in Monclair  New Jersey (and is on an  unlisted
phone number). It's very small and very nice, especially on SE's ...
'cause you get a serious amount of overlap of open windows with  the
smaller screens.
    It was also the source of the weirdest wrong number of my entire
life and it went something like this...

    I got  this program  from  a public  domain software  server  at
Lancaster polytechnic and the  credits say (ish)  "if you like  this
please send $10 to Marsh Gosnell" and an address in Monclair.
    Now the cdev was  a year or so  old so I'll phone  international
directory enquiries to get his number  so that I could ring him  and
ask him if his address had changed  and how to get the money to  him
(since I live in Brighton, England!
    Lo and behold he's  not at that address  but there is a  company
number call Marsh Consultancies in the same town. (Sorry if Monclair
is a city, don't know America that  much) So I ring this number  and
the conversation goes like  this... (before I  start I should  point
out that my first name  is Norman but so is  my dad's so I'm  called
Craig (my second name). The relevance will become apparent....

Brackets are my coments not the spoken word.

dial number..
ring, ring, ring, ...

Secretary: Hello, Marsh Consultancies. Can I help you.

Me: Yes, I've got my computer in front of me and I have this program
  and it say's that if I like it I'm to send you $10, I'd like to
  confirm your address and ask how I can send you the money?

Sec.: I'm sorry I don't really know what you're talking about! Would
  you like me to pass you on to someone who might be able to help
  you?

Me: Look, I'm phoning from England and this call is costing me an
  awful lot of money, I just want to know how to send you the
  money!
         (I'm a poor Student!)
Sec.: Is that Craig?
         (see what I mean)
Me: Hu?

Sec.: I'll pass you onto the Managing Director!

    The  conversation  I  then  had  explained  that  the   Managing
Directors brother,  called  Craig, was  living  in England  and  was
expected to call that day!?!?!?!?!

    Can you imagine, someone 3000 miles away saying 'Is that  Craig'
when you hadn't told her your name,  and it was!!! I spent the  next
hour wandering around the house going "Wowwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!"

    Anyway, that was the wrong number  and I don't have the  program
any more because I  now run AU/X  1.1.1 and rarely  use my mac  as a
mac, BUT  when I  did use  it Windows  was really  good. You  simply
select the window from the automatically updated list from the  menu
bar and it brought that one to the front of the screen. E-mail me if
you can't find it on any bill-board  over there and I'll get it  for
you from Lancaster!
    If you do get it, don't forget to give the guy his 10 bucks!?!?!

Norman Craig Emery.
normane@cogs.sussex.ac.uk

Chad: What no signature!