[comp.sys.mac.misc] Identify the files

bclee@.berkeley.edu (Bob C. Lee) (04/27/91)

	I was browsing through my ever-growing system folder and found
	that I had terribly little knowledge about what some of the basic
	system files are.  So, I need you help to tell me what these files do.

	Indexor
	Backgrounder
	Calendar

	The latter two are obviously system files of some sort, but the Indexor
	had me puzzled.  Please, please, please, tell me what these files do.
	Just being curious, and thinking of trashing them if they are not
	necessary.

	lots of thanks

	...b.o.b...

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.173926.28374@agate.berkeley.edu> bclee@.berkeley.edu (Bob C. Lee) writes:
> I was browsing through my ever-growing system folder and found [...]
> Indexor

I have no clue what this is.

> Backgrounder

This is a Mac system software program that handles programs that are running
in the background.

> Calendar

This is probably a data file created by a calendar type application or DA.
You would have to check the file type using Get Info to make sure.  It
could also be a CDEV or INIT.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (04/28/91)

In article <788@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>> Backgrounder
>
>This is a Mac system software program that handles programs that are running
>in the background.

I thought that this was only used for handling Print Monitor. I run
Multifinder exclusively, but never installed Backgrounder. What exactly
does Backgrounder really do?

Jess Holle

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (04/28/91)

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>In article <1991Apr26.173926.28374@agate.berkeley.edu> bclee@.berkeley.edu (Bob C. Lee) writes:
>> I was browsing through my ever-growing system folder and found [...]
>> Indexor

>I have no clue what this is.

If I remember correctly, 'Indexor' is the score/saved game file for Seahaven
Towers, a solitaire card game.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |