[comp.sys.mac.misc] INIT Question - "Facade"

barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian) (04/28/91)

I recently downloaded a copy of "facade" version from 1.0.1 from the umich
archives.  It's supposed to allow you to use different icons to represent
your disks (or maybe just the startup disk, I'm not sure).  It comes with
2 files containing about 50 icons.

Since it's just an init I put it in the System Folder and rebooted.  It doesn't
appear to do anything- and it has no cdev component to let me pick an icon.

?? Has anyone used this successfully?
?? Do I have the complete package (is the archive file on umich incomplete)?
?? There's a similar program called IconMaster which does about the same thing
  but has fewer icons.  Is there a way to let this program use the facade
  icon files?

I'll summarize replies.

--
==== Scott Barvian ============ Department of Electrical/Computer Eng. ===
==== barvian@ece.cmu.edu ====== Carnegie Mellon Univ., Pittsburgh, PA  ===

bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/28/91)

In article <BARVIAN.91Apr27221817@dart.ece.cmu.edu> barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian) writes:
>I recently downloaded a copy of "facade" version from 1.0.1 from the umich
>archives.
>...  It doesn't appear to do anything ...
>?? Do I have the complete package (is the archive file on umich incomplete)?
>?? There's a similar program called IconMaster which does about the same thing
>  but has fewer icons.  Is there a way to let this program use the facade
>  icon files?

The package you got is probably incomplete; I seem to remember a
`readme' file being included with the copy I got from sumex.  You
might want to try getting the file from sumex, and reading the
information file that comes with it -- that explains its use pretty
well.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/29/91)

In article <8812@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>In article <BARVIAN.91Apr27221817@dart.ece.cmu.edu> barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian) writes:
>>I recently downloaded a copy of "facade" version from 1.0.1 from the umich
>>archives.
>>...  It doesn't appear to do anything ...
>>?? Do I have the complete package (is the archive file on umich incomplete)?
>>?? There's a similar program called IconMaster which does about the same thing
>>  but has fewer icons.  Is there a way to let this program use the facade
>>  icon files?
>
>The package you got is probably incomplete; I seem to remember a
>`readme' file being included with the copy I got from sumex.  You
>might want to try getting the file from sumex, and reading the
>information file that comes with it -- that explains its use pretty
>well.
>
>     << Brian >>
>
>| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
>| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
>"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

Incase you don't want to do more FTPing than you do already :), here's what
to do.

Use ResEdit, and open up the file that has all the icons.  Pick an icon you
like your hard disk to be.  Okay, now, let's say the name of your hard disk
is "Banana Jr." .  Now, select the icon you want your hard disk to be, and
choose "Get Resource Info" form the "Resources" menu (this is under
ResEdit 2.1, so it will be diferent if you're using 1.2 or such).  NOw,
for the Resource's "Name", type in the name of your disk (i.e. "Banana
Jr.").  Now, whenerver this volume is mounted, it will come up with that
icon.

This is very flexible, because, you can set MULTIPLE icons (so if you have
a 2nd hard disk, or a SyQuest cartridge, or even floppies!) you can set
what icon they appear as, by simply choosing an icon, pulling up the
"Get Info" box, and typing in the name of the disk that will get that
icon.

Hope this helps...
Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."