[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to recover from lockup

hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) (04/22/91)

	I read a posting in this group a while back in which the
	writer explained the magic words to cause the low-level
	rom monitor to enter the finder again after the interrupt
	button was pushed.  Could someone send me that Info, I
	think it would be a marvelous thing to tape to my Mac.
	Thanks.
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.             Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas                           hunter@prometheus.sps.mot.com

bskendig@rise.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr22.040229.7149@oakhill.sps.mot.com> hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) writes:
>	I read a posting in this group a while back in which the
>	writer explained the magic words to cause the low-level
>	rom monitor to enter the finder again after the interrupt
>	button was pushed.  Could someone send me that Info, I
>	think it would be a marvelous thing to tape to my Mac.

After entering the interrupt monitor (by pressing the interrupt pad on
your CPU or pressing the interrupt key sequence on a IIsi or LC), type
the magic words:

	G A9F4

This jumps the machine to the "ExitToShell" routine, which (if the
machine's memory has not been corrupted too much) will force-load the
Finder and pass control to it.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/22/91)

hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) writes:

>	I read a posting in this group a while back in which the
>	writer explained the magic words to cause the low-level
>	rom monitor to enter the finder again after the interrupt
>	button was pushed.  Could someone send me that Info, I
>	think it would be a marvelous thing to tape to my Mac.
>	Thanks.

sm 0 a9f4
g 0

usually does the trick.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/22/91)

 You may also try:

g finder

 or

g f6d840

 there was another, that would exit back to the program, but using it was
very risky.  You would use it to save your work before reatarting your
computer.

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
| "Oh God, I'm so depressed" - Marvin +--------------------------------+
| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
+-------------------------------------+
/s
(whoops, too much BBSing...)

christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) (04/22/91)

In article <8555@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@rise.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>In article <1991Apr22.040229.7149@oakhill.sps.mot.com> hunter@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Hunter Scales) writes:
>>	I read a posting in this group a while back in which the
>>	writer explained the magic words to cause the low-level
>>	rom monitor to enter the finder again after the interrupt
>>	button was pushed.  Could someone send me that Info, I
>>	think it would be a marvelous thing to tape to my Mac.
>
>After entering the interrupt monitor (by pressing the interrupt pad on
>your CPU or pressing the interrupt key sequence on a IIsi or LC), type
>the magic words:
>
>	G A9F4
>
>This jumps the machine to the "ExitToShell" routine, which (if the
>machine's memory has not been corrupted too much) will force-load the
>Finder and pass control to it.

Close, but no cigar. _Much_ better would be to:

	SM 0 A9F4
	G 0

This does what Brian says it should do, namely call the "ExitToShell" routine.
A 'G A9F4' just starts the CPU running from that address (A9F4); this would
probably work in most cases too, accomplishing the same thing as "the official
way of doing it" as long as you're running MultiFinder, but for other reasons
(like MultiFinders trapping of address errors :-).

>     << Brian >>

| Christer Ericson                            Internet: christer@cs.umu.se |
| Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, S-90187 UMEA, Sweden |

david@sherpa.UUCP (Dave Quarles) (04/23/91)

From article <8555@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, by bskendig@rise.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig):

> After entering the interrupt monitor (by pressing the interrupt pad on
> your CPU or pressing the interrupt key sequence on a IIsi or LC), type
> the magic words:
>
> 	G A9F4

This is different from something I read somewhere (MacUSER ?)

It was:   G 0 A9F4 (cr) then
	  G 0

I have not tried the one:  G A9.

=-=  --> email: david@sherpa.UUCP  =-=-=-=-=-=-=  Dave Quarles  =-=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=   St. Petersburg Junior College   =-=

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/24/91)

christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) writes:

>Close, but no cigar. _Much_ better would be to:

>	SM 0 A9F4
>	G 0

Funny, I was taught to do the following;

PC 0 A9F4

Which seems to also work just fine.

Another variation is

SM FA700 A9F4
PC FA700

This is the oldest version I found in the first MacBible.
The second MacBible had just a plain ES (which I believe
only works with MacBugs).  The second MacBible's first
update then had the PC 0 A9F4, G version.

Can anyone hazard a guess which is better?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

billr@misg.csd.harris.com (Bill Rominger) (04/25/91)

+
+>Close, but no cigar. _Much_ better would be to:
+
+>	SM 0 A9F4
+>	G 0
+
Yup, it works ok on an LC with the "Programmers Key" init 1.1B6 from Sumex

+Funny, I was taught to do the following;
+
+PC 0 A9F4
+G
+
This one works too.

+Which seems to also work just fine.
+
+Another variation is
+
+SM FA700 A9F4
+PC FA700
+G
+
This one makes the box go away ;^(  Required a reboot

+This is the oldest version I found in the first MacBible.
+The second MacBible had just a plain ES (which I believe
+only works with MacBugs).  The second MacBible's first
+update then had the PC 0 A9F4, G version.
+
+Can anyone hazard a guess which is better?

The two that actually work, your results may vary :^)

+--
+=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
+= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =
+= Applelink: N1111                                                         =
+=I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =

--
This product is intended for use as an intellectual exercise. Any deliberate
concentration and ingestion of its contents may cause blindness or insanity!

fridberg@alcvax.pfc.mit.edu (04/26/91)

In article <6264@crystal.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

> Funny, I was taught to do the following;
>
> PC 0 A9F4
>
> Which seems to also work just fine.
>
> Another variation is
>
> SM FA700 A9F4
> PC FA700
>
> This is the oldest version I found in the first MacBible.
> The second MacBible had just a plain ES (which I believe
> only works with MacBugs).  The second MacBible's first
> update then had the PC 0 A9F4, G version.
>
> Can anyone hazard a guess which is better?

I guess they are the same. I  personally prefer

G EXITTOSHELL

It works with and WITHOUT MacsBug (at least on my Mac+ and SE).

					Mike.

ericm@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Eric S. McDaniel) (04/27/91)

Various methods suggested for exiting to the finder:

>+>	SM 0 A9F4
>+>	G 0
>+
>+PC 0 A9F4
>+G
>
>+SM FA700 A9F4
>+PC FA700
>+G
>+

What about just typing "es" from Macsbug?  It's always worked for me,
although if Macsbug isn't installed for some reason I have to resort to
one of the above methods.

swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr27.131616.25224@zip.eecs.umich.edu> ericm@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Eric S. McDaniel) writes:
>Various methods suggested for exiting to the finder:
>
>>+>	SM 0 A9F4
>>+>	G 0
>>+
>>+PC 0 A9F4
>>+G
>>
>>+SM FA700 A9F4
>>+PC FA700
>>+G
>>+

Then there's always the obvious:

	G FINDER

   /Dennis M. Swanson --> swansond@csus.edu         /   "He was as calm as a/
  /Macintosh Lab Assistant/Computer Science Student/   Perry Como groupie."/
 /University Computing and Communications Services/       -- Sledge Hammer/
/California State University, Sacramento         /"Harness the Macpower!"/

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr27.155828.18139@csus.edu> swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) writes:
>Then there's always the obvious:
>
>	G FINDER

I have found that sometimes, G FINDER doesn't work.
In fact, some times, it's totally frozen and I can't type anything in
the window at all.
In fact, some times, it's so frozen, it doesn't even give me the prompt.
In fact, some times, it's so frozen, doesn't even give me the window
when I press interrupt...
At those times, I have no option but to hit reset...

--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an