[comp.sys.mac.misc] Moving

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) (04/25/91)

Hello. Has any one had any success sending Macs through the mail via
UPS. I have a IIci with 13" monitor and I would like to get it across
country. I have all the original boxes, but I still dont know if I trust
the post office with $6000 (now $5000) worth of equipment.

Thanks for your help

-Charles Bruen
 Aero/Astro MIT
 cabruen@athena.mit.edu

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) (04/25/91)

... Sorry about wasted b-width, but I've seen this question many times and I
felt compelled to reply...

Use UPS and INSURE your computer for however much it's worth, full retail price
may be even better. It costs something like $ 0.25 per $100 of coverage over
$500 or something like that, and it'll let you sleep at night while you're
packing your stuff off.

--
***The University of Chicago - Adventure Haven: Climb the Joseph Regenstein ***
***Library! Descend into the Chasms of the Steam Tunnels! Walk home at 3am! ***

budd@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Gerry Budd) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.213922.23885@athena.mit.edu> cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) writes:

   Hello. Has any one had any success sending Macs through the mail via
   UPS. I have a IIci with 13" monitor and I would like to get it across
   country. I have all the original boxes, but I still dont know if I trust
   the post office with $6000 (now $5000) worth of equipment.

I've sent computer equipment with UPS several times with no problem.
In fact that is how Apple ships the equipment.  Just remember to
insure the equipment for replacement cost (insurance costs $.30/$100
of coverage above the initial $100.  The first $100 of coverage is
automatic).
--

Jerry Budd
budd@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!budd

consp13@bingsunn.bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (04/26/91)

I've had my share of sending computers to various places, and the best
company to deal with is Federal Express. They are always fast, and
extremely responsible. They know exactly how to handle computer
equipment (i.e. no shocks, be careful of orientation, etc), and have
no problem with the large weight factor of a monitor.

If you can't afford FedEx service (expensive, but good), UPS is a
close second. Again, no problems with them, and they have a very
experienced staff.

ALWAYS insure your shipments.

				\marc
--
consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu			Marcus N. Cannava
       @bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu			SUNY-Binghamton

mfader@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Fader) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr25.021001.8358@midway.uchicago.edu> nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) writes:
>... Sorry about wasted b-width, but I've seen this question many times and I
>felt compelled to reply...
>
>Use UPS and INSURE your computer for however much it's worth, full retail price
>may be even better. It costs something like $ 0.25 per $100 of coverage over
>$500 or something like that, and it'll let you sleep at night while you're
>packing your stuff off.

Insure your computer for whatever you want to, but if you can't produce a
receipt showing at least that value, you can forget about collecting anything
if it's lost completely.

	-Mike