[comp.sys.mac.misc] Can't get character in Macrite II

kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) (04/20/91)

Hello,
	I was trying to get the command symbol to use in my text, which is
the control-q sequence under CHICAGO font.  It just beeps when I do this.  I
try the same thing under WORD and it works fine, using the same font and
everything.  Does anyone know what's wrong?

Actual consulting call -"I have this disk         Kent P. Iler
   stuck in my drive and I tried to get           Mainframe consultant
   it out with a fork but ... "                   Kansas State University
Bitnet : kentiler@ksuvm,Internet : kentiler@ksuvm.ksu.edu

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/22/91)

kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:

>Hello,
>	I was trying to get the command symbol to use in my text, which is
>the control-q sequence under CHICAGO font.  It just beeps when I do this.  I
>try the same thing under WORD and it works fine, using the same font and
>everything.  Does anyone know what's wrong?

I am sorry that I DON'T know the source of your problem.  I assume that
control-q in MacWrite means something in particular that is illegal
where you are doing it.  A glance through the manual does not indicate
what a control-q does.

Fortunately,  I do know a great workaround.  Get a shareware utility
called PopChar from the archives.  It allows you to rapidly access
the entire character set of the currently active font by pulling down a
menu from the upper left hand corner.   Select the needed character
from the menu, release the mouse and "pop", the character is inserted into
your document.

This tool is great for Zapf Dingbats, Symbols or accents that take two
or more keystrokes for entry.  I have also noticed that there are characters
in most every font that *CANNOT* be reached from the keyboard.

Go figure that out.

Enjoy.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/23/91)

 [ ... deleted stuff ... ]

>kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:

>I have also noticed that there are characters
>in most every font that *CANNOT* be reached from the keyboard.

   I don't know how you can have characters that you can't get from the
keyboard but if you have Norton Utilities, they has a 'Key Caps' like DA
which also shows the required keystrokes.  I don't think that I have seen
any that don't have a key stroke associated with it!  But then maybe I
haven't seen them all...

--Patrick
--hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nassa.gov

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (04/24/91)

In article <hoepfner.672415797@heawk1> hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:

> [ ... deleted stuff ... ]
>
>>kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:
>
>>I have also noticed that there are characters
>>in most every font that *CANNOT* be reached from the keyboard.
>
>   I don't know how you can have characters that you can't get from the
>keyboard but if you have Norton Utilities, they has a 'Key Caps' like DA
>which also shows the required keystrokes.  I don't think that I have seen
>any that don't have a key stroke associated with it!  But then maybe I
>haven't seen them all...

Well, for example in Adobe fonts, ASCII #255 is a carot like mark that
is used in some eastern European languages and in Semitic language
transliterations. There is no keystroke sequence that will enable a
Mac to print it, but for example Word allows you to print the character
by entering option-command-q. The lower left box which usually displays
the page number changes. It is highlighted with the word CODE. By typing
255 and a <cr>, the hatcheck is printed to the screen.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/30/91)

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:

> [ ... deleted stuff ... ]

>>kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:

>>I have also noticed that there are characters
>>in most every font that *CANNOT* be reached from the keyboard.

>   I don't know how you can have characters that you can't get from the
>keyboard but if you have Norton Utilities, they has a 'Key Caps' like DA
>which also shows the required keystrokes.  I don't think that I have seen
>any that don't have a key stroke associated with it!  But then maybe I
>haven't seen them all...

Yessir-re-bob, most every font has these hidden characters.  I first
noticed them when I began to use PopChar.  PopChar allows you to
pull down a menu of all the possible characters in the active
font, select the one your want and...pop...it is part of your document.

I have found this very useful with Symbols, Dingbats and other
graphical fonts that do not lend themselves to a logical key
board layout.  EG, the dingbats characters of squares with numbers
in them are *ALL* over the keyboard, while in PopChar, they are
right next to each other.

Also, another major benefit is placing accents above characters
is no longer a multi-key stroke but a single "pop".

V1.5 is the latest version of PopChar.  I have been told that
V1.4 and V1.5 interfere with Adobe Type Reunion (though I have
not had the problem).  V1.3 is said to be "clean".

Enjoy
--

kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) (05/01/91)

In article <6315@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>>>[deleted attributions]
>
>>>I have also noticed that there are characters
>>>in most every font that *CANNOT* be reached from the keyboard.
>
>>   I don't know how you can have characters that you can't get from the
>>keyboard but if you have Norton Utilities, they has a 'Key Caps' like DA
>>which also shows the required keystrokes.  I don't think that I have seen
>>any that don't have a key stroke associated with it!  But then maybe I
>>haven't seen them all...
>
>Yessir-re-bob, most every font has these hidden characters.  I first
>noticed them when I began to use PopChar.  PopChar allows you to
>pull down a menu of all the possible characters in the active
>font, select the one your want and...pop...it is part of your document.

In addition to these points and the suggestions regarding using Word's
approach, there's another whole realm of characters hiding in your Adobe fonts
that are not within range of the standard ASCII 256.  Maybe this is what John
DeRosa found with PopChar.  To quote Adobe: the standard character set for
Adobe text typefaces is ISOLatin1. (Whatever that means.)  Know how it's
impossible to type pretty fractions?  Well, the darned things are actually
ALREADY in the fonts, if only we could get at them -- at least, onehalf,
onequarter and threequarters are!  Answer honestly: would you rather have, as
we currently do, ordmasculine and ordfeminine (little o and a underlined;
option-9 and option-0) available from the keyboard, or onehalf and onequarter?

     If anybody is interested, it IS possible to print these pretty little
fractions on a postscript printer (or using a postscript interpreter such as
Freedom of Press Light). I discovered this when desparately trying to typeset a
catalog for King Brand, the music paper and music writing supplies company.
Paper, especially music paper, is an ancient and noble product, and ain't sold
by the decimal dimension, not no how.  Fractions or bust.

     What you can do (short of buying ParaFont) is this: (1) Use some offbeat
stand-in character of about the right width (e.g. Capital-O-circumflex) for the
fraction you want to print. (Widths are in the .afm doct that you always
wondered when to throw away. Or just guess; fractions in most fonts tend to be
kind of plump.)  Then (2) print the postscript to disk INCLUDING the LaserPrep
header (immediately after clicking 'OK' in the Print dialog, press and hold
Cmd-K until you see a message about PostScript). (3) edit the postscript file
to take out your standin and print the fraction in its
place: look for the NAME of your standin character (e.g. Ocircumflex) in a list
of character NAMES separated by slashes (e.g. trademark/Ocircumflex/AE/oe).
Carefully replace the standin's name with the fraction's name (e.g. onehalf or
onequarter or threequarters)(note that threequarters is plural).  This is the
only place you have to do this editing; it will control ALL occurrences of the
standin character in the document.  (4) Send this edited file DIRECTLY to your
printer, using some utility like SendPS.  Don't print from your wordprocessor;
it will append another LaserPrep header and screw things up.  (5) Check your
output carefully.  Some fonts are happier about this substituting business than
others, and some standins seem to work more reliably than others.  Helvetica
gave me problems once but only once; maybe it was that corrupted version that
has been mentioned in this group.

Sorry about the length of this posting -- but this simple workaround saved my
neck, and you might enjoy having typeset fractions, too.

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu
Disclaimer: I have no connection with King Brand Products (212) 246-0488, the
finest supplier of music writing papers, supplies and reproduction services in
the world, except that my sister helps run the place. Reasonable prices.
Beautiful catalog.