[comp.sys.mac.misc] TrueType / After Dark 2.0 problem

rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/01/91)

Here's a slight problem I noticed the other night.  I hope this hasn't been
discussed to death already, but here goes...

I have the TrueType INIT supplied with the Personal LaserWriter LS installation
package installed in my system folder, along with After Dark 2.0.  I opened up
the control panel to the General panel (the one with the clock) and let After
Dark (can o' worms) take over the screen.  Well, the worms started eating
everything in sight, but the seconds kept ticking away on the clock.  A worm
tried to eat the clock, but was destroyed :-) instantly.  I then tried this
with Starry Night, and the clock still showed through.

I don't know if this is a problem with the TrueType INIT, After Dark, or what,
but I thought the net would be interested.  By the way, all this took place on
a Mac IIsi running system 6.0.7.

P.S.  If you set the RAM cache on a IIsi to at least 768K, games like Solarian
II and Diamonds go _much_ faster.  I know having a "filler" application also
does the trick too, but if you can't settle on which application to use, why
not give the RAM to the disk...

------------------------
Randall Cook               "That's the trouble with being middle class.
rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu    Anybody that really cares will abandon you
------------------------    for someone that needs it more."  --  Sam Etic

rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/01/91)

Sorry, but I forgot to mention in the previous posting that when I removed
TrueType from the system folder the problem went away...

rc

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.165304.42362@eagle.wesleyan.edu> rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Here's a slight problem I noticed the other night.  I hope this hasn't been
>discussed to death already, but here goes...
[...]
>with Starry Night, and the clock still showed through.
>
>I don't know if this is a problem with the TrueType INIT, After Dark, or what,
>but I thought the net would be interested.  By the way, all this took place on
>a Mac IIsi running system 6.0.7.

Use an init manager or rename the your INITs so TrueType loads before the
menu clock INIT. Problem goes away.

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) (05/02/91)

In <1991Apr30.165304.42362@eagle.wesleyan.edu> rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu
notes that with the TrueType INIT installed, the General control panel's
clock "showed through" an After Dark screen saver.

If the TrueType INIT loads after After Dark, After Dark will not be able
to prevent underlying software from writing to the screen during screen
saving.  The same is true of Pyro!, of which I am co-author.  The solution
is to rename either the screen saver or TrueType to reverse their relative
alphabetical order.

--
brecher@btr.com (Steve Brecher)