[comp.sys.mac.misc] online encyclopedias

Scott Brim <swb@theory.tn.cornell.edu> (05/01/91)

How would people rate various commercial online encyclopedia offerings,
e.g. from Compuserve?  Ease of use and downloading, cost, whatever.
What I'd really like is something with good Mac graphics -- are there
any with graphics features?  Alternatively, what about encyclopedias on
CDs?
						Thanks much ... Scott
Scott W. Brim				swb@nr-tech.cit.cornell.edu
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

mfn@cbnewsi.att.com (mark.f.nettleingham) (05/02/91)

In article <SWB.91May1094754@mitchell.cit.cornell.edu>, swb@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Scott Brim) writes:
> How would people rate various commercial online encyclopedia offerings,
> e.g. from Compuserve?  Ease of use and downloading, cost, whatever.

	I have been using the Random House Encyclopedia offered for
the Mac for about a month now.

	This encyclopedia is distributed on seven 800 K disks. It
requires about five megs. of free disk space to install.  The
interface is completely textual and the articles are very short.
For example looking up ant yields a short article containing just
the very basic information.  Scientific name, size, six legs, three
sections, and the fact that they live everywhere on the
earth. There was more information on specific types of ants (Fire
ant, carpenter ant, for example).  The interface does provide a
menu to jump directly to related articles.

	Now to be fair, the bound version of Random House
Encyclopedia version is also short (two maybe three volumes at
most).  And it is relativity inexpensive (I paid $67.00 for it).

	On a scale of one to ten with ten being the best I'd give
it a about a five.  I don't think I would purchase it again now
that I have used it for a while.

	I would also be interested in hearing from people that have
used one or more of the CD-ROM encyclopedias.

	Hope this is of some help,
	Mark Nettleingham
	...!att!probe!markn