[comp.sys.mac.misc] two eeeasy questions

rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/30/91)

As promised, two easy questions:

1)  where on the internet can I get a copy of the TrueType version of Palatino?
(bold and italic also, if possible)  What about Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco?

2)  Forgive me if I am real stupid, but where is the programmer's switch on a
IIsi?  I know about Control-Open Apple-reset (just like my old //e :-), but
what if I just want an interrupt, to run my not working copy of macsbug?

thanks.

rc

------------------------
Randall Cook
rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu
------------------------

forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu (Scott Forbes) (04/30/91)

rcook@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

>2)  Forgive me if I am real stupid, but where is the programmer's switch on a
>IIsi?  I know about Control-Open Apple-reset (just like my old //e :-), but
>what if I just want an interrupt, to run my not working copy of macsbug?

There is no programmer's switch on a IIsi!  But there is a nice INIT called
"P Key" which lets the Command-Reset key combo generate an interrupt.
If you can't find it in the archives, e-mail me and I'll try to upload it.
Scott Forbes
forbes@csrd.uiuc.edu		Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
strustee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu	University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Christopher Tate <CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr30.062152.6009@csrd.uiuc.edu>, forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu
(Scott Forbes) says:

>There is no programmer's switch on a IIsi!  But there is a nice INIT called
>"P Key" which lets the Command-Reset key combo generate an interrupt.
>If you can't find it in the archives, e-mail me and I'll try to upload it.

Huh?  I thought Command-Power (or "Flower-Power," as some would have it :-)
*was* the programmer's switch interrupt on a IIsi; no INIT needed!

I *know* that I've use some combination of modifier keys and the power
switch to break into MacsBug on the IIsi without running any INIT's.  It's
not Control-Flower-Power, since that's the restart sequence, but it might be
plain Flower-Power, or just Control-Power, or something like that....

-------
Christopher Tate                    |  "Voices leaking from a sad cafe....
                                    |   Smiling faces try to understand.
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu                |   I saw a shadow touch a shadow's hand
{...}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105   |   On Bleeker Street."
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                 |          -- Simon & Garfunkel

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (04/30/91)

Christopher Tate <CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

>In article <1991Apr30.062152.6009@csrd.uiuc.edu>, forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu
>(Scott Forbes) says:
>>
>>There is no programmer's switch on a IIsi!  But there is a nice INIT called
>>"P Key" which lets the Command-Reset key combo generate an interrupt.
>>If you can't find it in the archives, e-mail me and I'll try to upload it.

>Huh?  I thought Command-Power (or "Flower-Power," as some would have it :-)
>*was* the programmer's switch interrupt on a IIsi; no INIT needed!

>I *know* that I've use some combination of modifier keys and the power
>switch to break into MacsBug on the IIsi without running any INIT's.  It's
>not Control-Flower-Power, since that's the restart sequence, but it might be
>plain Flower-Power, or just Control-Power, or something like that....

The answer is found on p.15 of the "Special Features of Your
Macintosh IIsi" booklet that comes with the IIsi.

Reset = Command-Control-Power On
Interrupt = Command-Power On
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) (05/01/91)

In article <dana.673028469@are.Berkeley.EDU> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>Christopher Tate <CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>
>>In article <1991Apr30.062152.6009@csrd.uiuc.edu>, forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu
>>(Scott Forbes) says:
>>>
>>>There is no programmer's switch on a IIsi!  But there is a nice INIT called
>>>"P Key" which lets the Command-Reset key combo generate an interrupt.
>>>If you can't find it in the archives, e-mail me and I'll try to upload it.
>
>>Huh?  I thought Command-Power (or "Flower-Power," as some would have it :-)
>>*was* the programmer's switch interrupt on a IIsi; no INIT needed!
>
>>I *know* that I've use some combination of modifier keys and the power
>>switch to break into MacsBug on the IIsi without running any INIT's.  It's
>>not Control-Flower-Power, since that's the restart sequence, but it might be
>>plain Flower-Power, or just Control-Power, or something like that....
>
>The answer is found on p.15 of the "Special Features of Your
>Macintosh IIsi" booklet that comes with the IIsi.
>
>Reset = Command-Control-Power On
>Interrupt = Command-Power On

But these won't work unless you have a new (6.2) Macsbug installed. To get
into the debugger with an earlier version you'd need the Programmer's Key INIT.

| Christer Ericson                            Internet: christer@cs.umu.se |
| Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, S-90187 UMEA, Sweden |

gtephx (Mike Pflueger) (05/02/91)

In article <dana.673028469@are.Berkeley.EDU>, dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
> Christopher Tate <CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>
> >In article <1991Apr30.062152.6009@csrd.uiuc.edu>, forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu
> >(Scott Forbes) says:
> >>
> >>There is no programmer's switch on a IIsi!  But there is a nice INIT called
> >>"P Key" which lets the Command-Reset key combo generate an interrupt.
> >>If you can't find it in the archives, e-mail me and I'll try to upload it.
>
> >Huh?  I thought Command-Power (or "Flower-Power," as some would have it :-)
> >*was* the programmer's switch interrupt on a IIsi; no INIT needed!
>
> >I *know* that I've use some combination of modifier keys and the power
> >switch to break into MacsBug on the IIsi without running any INIT's.  It's
> >not Control-Flower-Power, since that's the restart sequence, but it might be
> >plain Flower-Power, or just Control-Power, or something like that....
>
> The answer is found on p.15 of the "Special Features of Your
> Macintosh IIsi" booklet that comes with the IIsi.
>
> Reset = Command-Control-Power On
> Interrupt = Command-Power On

HOWEVER - the interrupt sequence only works if you're running MacsBug 6.2
(or later).  There may be other inits that provide the function also,
but it DOESN'T work out of the box.

"Reset" does work with nothing else special.

--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.), Phoenix, AZ
  UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!hrc | att}!gtephx!pfluegerm