[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac IIx and performance

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/02/91)

Hello all.  I have a rather simple question. :-)

A person in New York claims to be running a public access unix
box on a Mac IIx under AU/X.  He also claims that the machine
will support 5-10 users <grin> and will run gcc soon.

Now for the questions....Can a IIx deal with 5-10 simultaneous
users (and a trailblazer running on another port)?  Also, I
thought GNU was boycotting apple products.  Wouldn't this
include AU/X?

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Show me the way to the
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |next whiskey bar...
                              |-Kurt Weil-

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (05/02/91)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>A person in New York claims to be running a public access unix
>box on a Mac IIx under AU/X.  He also claims that the machine
>will support 5-10 users <grin> and will run gcc soon.

Hmm...wouldn't be Alexis Rosen, perhaps?

>Now for the questions....Can a IIx deal with 5-10 simultaneous
>users (and a trailblazer running on another port)?  Also, I

Evidently his does....  I suspect that if your bunch of users isn't doing
anything more exotic than reading mail and news and the occasional compile,
(the usual activities on pub. access Unix sites :-), 5 or so users shouldn't
be a problem.  One probably should have at least 8M, if not more, and pay
attention to upping the defaults on various kernel config parameters, but it
should be doable with little problem.  I let a friend of mine log in on my
Mac IIx to read news, and usually can't tell he's there unless I look at the
modem lights.  As for the TrailBlazer, if you're running it on the built-in
"dumb" serial ports, it *will* load the system heavily (my measurements
usually show ~40-60% of the time being spent in System mode during uucp
downloads on a T1000; full TrailBlazer+ speeds would probably load it more).
On practically *any* "personal computer" Unix system, you're much better off
having a TrailBlazer on a port on a "smart" serial card (with on-board
coprocessor) to take the load of handling ~1400 serial port interrupts/sec
off of the main CPU.  At least one such "smart" card, the Taniwha CommCard,
exists for A/UX.  (Note that if you're going to have 5-10 people on, you're
gonna need *some* sort of serial card in order to give you enough RS-232
ports to let all those people on *anyway*, so one might as well get one or
more "smart" cards...)

>thought GNU was boycotting apple products.  Wouldn't this
>include AU/X?

So what?  GCC for A/UX can be found in the /systems/aux/gnu directory on
wuarchive.wustl.edu.  Enjoy.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp