[comp.sys.mac.misc] SGIL "Fast Math" Init

jch1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Jason C Hicks) (04/30/91)

Could someone please tell me where the SGIL "Fast Math" Init is located
on mac.archive.umich.edu?  I have been looking, but I can't seem
to find it.  What is the file listed as?  Thanks.

Hmmm, no sig.?

barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian) (04/30/91)

> Could someone please tell me where the SGIL "Fast Math" Init is located
> on mac.archive.umich.edu?

I started this, so hopefully I can finish it too.  I've answered this question
around 10 times today...

The path to the SGIL init is
(drum roll please)

.../archive/mac/system.extensions/init/ffpacc.sit.hqx

I know, you're saying "Isn't it obvious?" now, right?  I think "ffpacc"
stands for "fast floating point accelerator".

If you start using this and find some definite speed-ups, please post your
experiences.  My suspicion is that it will work well with some applications
and will crash others!

Since it was written in '88, I'm very curious to know why I've never heard it
mentioned before, if it's as great as it seems.  Perhaps an entire past
civilization used it, found its problems and it just faded away.

Or maybe not.
--
==== Scott Barvian ============ Department of Electrical/Computer Eng. ===
==== barvian@ece.cmu.edu ====== Carnegie Mellon Univ., Pittsburgh, PA  ===

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/30/91)

In article   writes:
>From: barvian@ece.cmu.edu (Scott Barvian)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
>Subject: Re: SGIL "Fast Math" Init
>Date: 30 Apr 91 03:15:30 GMT
>Sender: news@fs7.ece.cmu.edu (USENET News System)
>
>> Could someone please tell me where the SGIL "Fast Math" Init is located
>> on mac.archive.umich.edu?
>
>I started this, so hopefully I can finish it too.  I've answered this question
>around 10 times today...
>
>The path to the SGIL init is
>(drum roll please)
>
>.../archive/mac/system.extensions/init/ffpacc.sit.hqx
>
>I know, you're saying "Isn't it obvious?" now, right?  I think "ffpacc"
>stands for "fast floating point accelerator".
>
>If you start using this and find some definite speed-ups, please post your
>experiences.  My suspicion is that it will work well with some applications
>and will crash others!
>
>Since it was written in '88, I'm very curious to know why I've never heard it
>mentioned before, if it's as great as it seems.  Perhaps an entire past
>civilization used it, found its problems and it just faded away.
>
>Or maybe not.
>--
>==== Scott Barvian ============ Department of Electrical/Computer Eng. ===
>==== barvian@ece.cmu.edu ====== Carnegie Mellon Univ., Pittsburgh, PA  ===

I've never had it *CRASH* on me, but it does tend to muck up the mathematics
a bit, which can really hurt you if you're doing lot of spreadsheet
calculations where even the *SLIGHTEST* error will throw everything off.
For example, I was doing my finances in Microsoft Excel, and noticed some
roundoff errors, and also it didn't get some dates correct (when I type
in a date in a Date formatted cell, it comes out wrong.)
Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

xdpq8@isuvax.iastate.edu (05/02/91)

Stay away from the SGIL init, it causes more problems than it fixes...
Wingz absolutely hates it. It does fast math, but it gives the wrong answers