[comp.sys.mac.misc] What processor does a Mac plus use?

v097pba8@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (04/25/91)

	Is it a 030?  Or what?

				Thanks...

Ken Morton				"A vacant engineer rides on a
v097pba8@ubvms.Bitnet			 train of thought that will not
v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu		 lead him home" - Edie Brickell

txhou@mcs.drexel.edu (Xinjun Hou) (04/26/91)

In article <73063@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v097pba8@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>	Is it a 030?  Or what?
>
>				Thanks...

	Intel 80486

rroberts@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Ross Allan Roberts) (04/26/91)

>>	Is it a 030?  Or what?
>>
>	Intel 80486

	WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
		(someone say 'April Fool,' PL-EEEEase!)

				Ross R.

davidn@omews80.intel.com (David Nedwek) (04/26/91)

>>>	Is it a 030?  Or what?
>>>
>>	Intel 80486
>
>	WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>		(someone say 'April Fool,' PL-EEEEase!)

Fear not, your leg was being pulled.

In fact, all Mac's have an Intel 432 under the hood.   :-)

|        David Nedwek - Platform Architecture Centre - intel Corporation      |
| davidn@ichips.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!ichips.intel.com!davidn|
|                 .include(/usr/lib/standard.disclaimer)                      |

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (04/26/91)

No, the mac plus uses an '000.   (REAL powerhouse)
Brent Burton
  n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/26/91)

In article <73063@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v097pba8@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
> Is it a 030?  Or what?

It must use an "or what" 8-).  Seriously, the main CPU is a 68000 running
at 7+ MHz.  The Classic and SE use the same chip running at the same base
CPU speed.  You would have to move up to an SE/30, SI, CI, CX, or FX to get
a 68030.  The Mac II and LC use the 68020.

BTW, there are 68030 upgrade boards available for the Mac Plus from third
party suppliers.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.211610.6013@omews63.intel.com> davidn@omews80.UUCP (David Nedwek) writes:

>>>	Intel 80486
>>
>>	WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>>		(someone say 'April Fool,' PL-EEEEase!)
>
>Fear not, your leg was being pulled.
>
>In fact, all Mac's have an Intel 432 under the hood.   :-)

Ah, so that explains it.  The OS is written in Ada.  I knew it had to be
something like that.  Thanks for clearing everything up.

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

In article <1991Apr25.195853.9598@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> rroberts@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Ross Allan Roberts) writes:
>>>	Is it a 030?  Or what?
>>>
>>	Intel 80486
>
>	WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>		(someone say 'April Fool,' PL-EEEEase!)

Actually, the Mac Plus uses a processor that is much more powerful than
the i486.  After all, the measure of power is whether people actually
use a computer.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (04/26/91)

	Naa,Naa, Naaa, you got it all wrong,

I opened up the mac plus case, and looked at the chip and it said it
was a

	80486 K9P

(hee hee)

steve
M68k Developers group

lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) (04/28/91)

>>>	Intel 80486
>>
>>	WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>>		(someone say 'April Fool,' PL-EEEEase!)
>
>Fear not, your leg was being pulled.
>
>In fact, all Mac's have an Intel 432 under the hood.   :-)
>
>|        David Nedwek - Platform Architecture Centre - intel Corporation      |
>| davidn@ichips.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!ichips.intel.com!davidn|
>|                 .include(/usr/lib/standard.disclaimer)                      |

Really? An intel 432?

Dammit, I thought  they came with cray processors.

derek@leah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (04/28/91)

From lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) come these immortal words:
>In article <1991Apr25.211610.6013@omews63.intel.com> davidn@omews80.UUCP (David Nedwek) writes:
[someone wanted to know:]
> [...]
[and someone answered:]

>>>	WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>>>		(someone say 'April Fool,' PL-EEEEase!)
>>
>>Fear not, your leg was being pulled.
>>In fact, all Mac's have an Intel 432 under the hood.   :-)
>
>Really? An intel 432?
>
>Dammit, I thought  they came with cray processors.

Well, my 128K Mac had several dozen N-Cube parallel processing units.
I guess Apple was shopping around.

						Derek L.
--
+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +

hagan@ecs.umass.edu (04/29/91)

Based on Apple's advertisements, i would say that the mac+ does not
in fact have a CPU, but instead uses *your* mind (hence the lack
of math performance :) ).To be real, its more like the
MC680008 (the student version of the 68000, without the "advanced features")

-- craig hagan

jerome@sampan (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) (04/29/91)

>Well, my 128K Mac had several dozen N-Cube parallel processing units.
>I guess Apple was shopping around.
>
>						Derek L.

Gee. My Mac runs on a 1-Mhz 6502 and has only 8K Ram.
Do you guys know something I don't?

.Chaos

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) (04/30/91)

In article <781@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>In article <73063@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v097pba8@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>> Is it a 030?  Or what?
>
>It must use an "or what" 8-).  Seriously, the main CPU is a 68000 running
>at 7+ MHz.  The Classic and SE use the same chip running at the same base
>CPU speed.  You would have to move up to an SE/30, SI, CI, CX, or FX to get
>a 68030.  The Mac II and LC use the 68020.
>
>BTW, there are 68030 upgrade boards available for the Mac Plus from third
>party suppliers.
>
>-john-

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

This is the funniest response so far!!!  Boy, I thought the 80486 answer
was good!

Seriously, though - Who would think of using a 68000 on a computer?

Actually, the Mac+ has a 8051 running at 23.6 MHz.  In addition, it
has a pair of SPARK chips for I/O and display handling (which is why
screen updates are so slow).

Eric
Eric Mitchell                      |   "We're Screwed!!!"
Ph. 604-278-3411 Fax. 604-278-2936 |
email  !uunet!van-bc!mdavcr!ewm    |	- Spaced Invaders.
    or ewm%mda.ca@wimsey.bc.ca     |
    or ewm@mda.ca		   |

bengaard@diku.dk (Jens Martin Bengaard) (05/01/91)

Processors are for boring IBM PC's with their old-fashioned command-line
interfaces, no windows and mice, white-on-black look etc.
Mac users are so creative that they don't need processors to solve their
problems.

				Jens Bengaard
				bengaard@diku.dk

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/06/91)

In article <1991Apr28.064941.9847@sarah.albany.edu> derek@leah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) writes:

>From lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) come these immortal words:
>>In article <1991Apr25.211610.6013@omews63.intel.com> davidn@omews80.UUCP (David Nedwek) writes:
>[someone wanted to know:]
>[and someone answered:]

>>>Fear not, your leg was being pulled.
>>>In fact, all Mac's have an Intel 432 under the hood.   :-)
>>
>>Really? An intel 432?
>>
>>Dammit, I thought  they came with cray processors.
>

>Well, my 128K Mac had several dozen N-Cube parallel processing units.
>I guess Apple was shopping around.
>
>						Derek L.
>--
>+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
>+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +
>+ +  +   +  Each one's life a novel  no one else has read -- Peart  +   +  + +

Funny, when I opened mine up, I had a CONNECTION MACHINE in mine.

--Gregory