[comp.sys.mac.misc] IIsi and monitors

andrewsr@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (05/03/91)

Hello All!

I will be buying a IIsi in the next week.  I have not decided on the
monitor yet.

I am really hesitent to get a non-color monitor since I may want to
preview in color before I print in 4-color separations.  However, it
would be an advantage to get a full-page monitor.  But, I can't spend
mega bucks on this!  I can get the 12" color from Apple for $359.

What other monitors would be a good deal?  (Do some -- such as the
Radius-- not work on the IIsi.  How many slots do I get?  Does apple's
monitor take a slot?  Could I run both Radius and the Apple monitor
off of the si and still have slots free?)

-Rich

nate@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Nate Berggren) (05/06/91)

In article <May.2.16.37.57.1991.28689@remus.rutgers.edu> andrewsr@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:

>What other monitors would be a good deal?  (Do some -- such as the
>Radius-- not work on the IIsi.  How many slots do I get?  Does apple's
>monitor take a slot?  Could I run both Radius and the Apple monitor
>off of the si and still have slots free?)

Similar to the IIci, the IIsi has built in video (256 colors), therefore
a slot is not lost by hooking up a monitor.  Any monitor that works with
the apple 8 bit display card will work with the built in display on the
IIsi.  This is good since the IIsi has only one expansion slot.  Any
monitor that requires a special display card will use up your expansion
slot, and in order to use it you'll need to buy the NuBus adaptor card.

If you want to use the above mentioned monitors at separate times you
might be ok, otherwise you won't have any expansion slots left.

I have heard of a product for the IIsi that is a box with 6 NuBus slots
that plugs directly into the slot in the IIsi without the adaptor.  If
you find that you need more slots you might look into this, or look into
getting a IIci instead.

nate@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Nate Berggren
ACNS Student Consultant
Northwestern University

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (05/06/91)

On this thread, Radius just released a new line of monitors for
the built in video.  Check out the latest MacUser...

-rich
Richard Sucgang : Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Columbia University (sucgang@cuhhca.hhmi.columbia.edu;
de slime god         rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)