[comp.sys.mac.misc] Benchmarks

zinder2500@engin.umich.edu (Michael Robert Attan) (04/23/91)

I'm looking for a benchmark program to test the speed of my classic.
From applications that I have run on a virgin system, it is OBVIOUS
the the Classic is a much SLOWER machine than either the Plus or the
SE.  (Contrary to the sales pitches)  Does anyone know where I can find a
good benchmarking program?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
 (zinder2500@aal.itd.umich.edu)

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.041748.9392@engin.umich.edu> zinder2500@engin.umich.edu (Michael Robert Attan) writes:
>I'm looking for a benchmark program to test the speed of my classic.
>From applications that I have run on a virgin system, it is OBVIOUS
>the the Classic is a much SLOWER machine than either the Plus or the
>SE.  (Contrary to the sales pitches)  Does anyone know where I can find a
>good benchmarking program?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Mike
> (zinder2500@aal.itd.umich.edu)

I'm surprised that you've found the Classic so slow.  Are all other things
equal (memory size, # of inits, system version, etc.) ?

For a benchmark try Speedometer in the sumex archives.  It is archived as
info-mac/util/speedometer-25.hqx.  It is a pretty decent program.

Alan

	|  Alan R Fry                     |   You know what I hate?    |
	|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |   Rhetorical questions     |

dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) (04/26/91)

Slower than the SE, I can believe; but _nothing_ is slower than the
plus.  Nothing.
Joev Dubach
--
----

graham@june.cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (04/26/91)

In article <DUBACH1.91Apr25215929@husc9.harvard.edu> dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) writes:
>Slower than the SE, I can believe; but _nothing_ is slower than the
>plus.  Nothing.
>Joev Dubach

Obviously, someone who's never even seen a Mac 128.
--

Steve Graham
graham@isis.ee.washington.edu

jmpiazza@acsu.buffalo.edu (Joseph M. Piazza) (04/26/91)

graham@june.cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) writes:
>>Slower than the SE, I can believe; but _nothing_ is slower than the
>>plus.  Nothing.
>>Joev Dubach
>
>Obviously, someone who's never even seen a Mac 128.
>Steve Graham

	Or a Lisa 2/Mac XL.

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ...!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/27/91)

In article <73258@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> jmpiazza@acsu.buffalo.edu (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
>graham@june.cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>>dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) writes:
>>>Slower than the SE, I can believe; but _nothing_ is slower than the
>>>plus.  Nothing.
>>Obviously, someone who's never even seen a Mac 128.
>	Or a Lisa 2/Mac XL.

Yeah, the Lisa was definitely the slowest (a 68000 at only 6mhz!!!).
It had a REALLY nice user-interface, though.  In some areas the Mac is only
just now beginning to catch up.  Too bad they tried to charge $10,000 for
the Lisa.  If it had been affordable, people would have bought it.  Oh well.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.145202.15613@beaver.cs.washington.edu> graham@june.cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>In article <DUBACH1.91Apr25215929@husc9.harvard.edu> dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) writes:
>>Slower than the SE, I can believe; but _nothing_ is slower than the
>>plus.  Nothing.
>
>Obviously, someone who's never even seen a Mac 128.

Or an IBM PC.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/06/91)

In article <1991Apr26.145202.15613@beaver.cs.washington.edu> graham@june.cs.wash
ington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>In article <DUBACH1.91Apr25215929@husc9.harvard.edu> dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu
(joev dubach) writes:
>>Slower than the SE, I can believe; but _nothing_ is slower than the
>>plus.  Nothing.
>
>Obviously, someone who's never even seen a Mac 128.

Or an IBM PC.

-john-

----

Lets not forget, while we are the subject, the thing which started it all:

The Legendary Altair 8080.

-----Greg Carter

PS: DEATH TO INTEL.  May they burn in hell for their silicone blasphemies!

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May5.213553.14805@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:

> Lets not forget, while we are the subject, the thing which started it all:
>
> The Legendary Altair 8080.

I've always consider the DEC PDP-8 to be the first personal computer.
It was cheap enough to be purchased for a single user.  No need for
batch or timesharing on this puppy.

(And in a lot of ways it was a RISC machine too!)

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE