[comp.sys.mac.misc] Sharing a SCSI HD

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (05/04/91)

	Is it possible to share a SCSI Hard drive between a Mac and an Apple
IIgs with a SCSI card?

			Thanks,

Ken Morton				"A vacant engineer rides on a
v097pba8@ubvms.Bitnet			 train of thought that will not
v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu		 lead him home" - Edie Brickell

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/04/91)

In article <74780@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) writes:

> 	Is it possible to share a SCSI Hard drive between a Mac and an Apple
> IIgs with a SCSI card?

Nope, it doesn't work.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU (Randall A. Swanson) (05/05/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.eo5jp9@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <74780@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) writes:
>>
>> 	Is it possible to share a SCSI Hard drive between a Mac and an Apple
>> IIgs with a SCSI card?
>
>Nope, it doesn't work.
>
>-- michael

Actually it works very nicely.  On the Apple II SCSI card you can set the ID#
of the CPU.  So all you need to do is set the SCSI ID# on the HD and IIgs
to something different than 7 <that of the Mac> and partition the hard drive.
with the first physical partion being a ProDos partion and the other a Mac
partion.

I did this for over a year when I had a BBS running on a IIgs and did work on
my Mac.  The software I used to partion the drive was SilverLining.

Randall Swanson
121 Baker Tower
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-5102

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May5.011353.878@cs.cornell.edu>, swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU (Randall A. Swanson) writes:
> In article <0B01FFFB.eo5jp9@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
> >
> >In article <74780@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) writes:
> >>
> >> 	Is it possible to share a SCSI Hard drive between a Mac and an Apple
> >> IIgs with a SCSI card?
> >
> >Nope, it doesn't work.
> >
> >-- michael
>
> Actually it works very nicely.  On the Apple II SCSI card you can set the ID#
> of the CPU.  So all you need to do is set the SCSI ID# on the HD and IIgs
> to something different than 7 <that of the Mac> and partition the hard drive.
> with the first physical partion being a ProDos partion and the other a Mac
> partion.

Humm, interesting.  Well, it doesn't work with two Macs.  I leapt to
the conclusion that the gs did SCSI similar to the way Macs do it.

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (05/05/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.erxw5i@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <1991May5.011353.878@cs.cornell.edu>, swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU (Randall A. Swanson) writes:

-> >> 	Is it possible to share a SCSI Hard drive between a Mac and an Apple
-> >> IIgs with a SCSI card?

-> >Nope, it doesn't work.

-> Actually it works very nicely.  On the Apple II SCSI card you can set the ID#
-> of the CPU.  So all you need to do is set the SCSI ID# on the HD and IIgs
-> to something different than 7 <that of the Mac> and partition the hard drive.
-> with the first physical partion being a ProDos partion and the other a Mac
-> partion.

>Humm, interesting.  Well, it doesn't work with two Macs.  I leapt to
>the conclusion that the gs did SCSI similar to the way Macs do it.

The difference is that both Macs want to access the SAME partition, and you
can't let both control the volume directory at the same time.  In the Mac vs.
IIgs case, they are working in DIFFERENT partitions, and each can control
its own directory.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (05/06/91)

Peirce) writes:

> >In article <1991May5.011353.878@cs.cornell.edu>, swanson@CS.Cornell.EDU
(Randall A. Swanson) writes:

> -> >> 	Is it possible to share a SCSI Hard drive between a Mac and an Apple
> -> >> IIgs with a SCSI card?
>
> -> >Nope, it doesn't work.
>
> -> Actually it works very nicely.  On the Apple II SCSI card you can set the
ID#
> -> of the CPU.  So all you need to do is set the SCSI ID# on the HD and IIgs
> -> to something different than 7 <that of the Mac> and partition the hard
drive.
> -> with the first physical partion being a ProDos partion and the other a Mac
> -> partion.
>
> >Humm, interesting.  Well, it doesn't work with two Macs.  I leapt to
> >the conclusion that the gs did SCSI similar to the way Macs do it.
>
> The difference is that both Macs want to access the SAME partition, and you
> can't let both control the volume directory at the same time.  In the Mac vs.
> IIgs case, they are working in DIFFERENT partitions, and each can control
> its own directory.
>
> Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

   Actually, the real problem is that the Mac has it's SCSI address fixed at 7.
So, if you put two Macs on the same SCSI bus, there is an address conflict.....

                    Mike Bell

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/06/91)

In article <52475@apple.Apple.COM> bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) writes:
---everybody else write something like---
>> -> >> Is it possible to share a SCSI Hard drive between a Mac and a IIgs
>> -> >Nope, it doesn't work.
>> -> Actually it works very nicely.
>> >Humm, interesting.  Well, it doesn't work with two Macs.
>   Actually, the problem is that the Mac has it's SCSI address fixed at 7.
>So, if you put two Macs on the same SCSI bus, there is an address conflict.

   It should be possible and fairly easy to change the scsi address of a mac,
but it will require something approaching hacking the motherboard.  I haven't
done it, or seriously considered it.  I'm really sending this to shorten the
amount of quoted text for more followups....
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (05/06/91)

In article <52475@apple.Apple.COM> bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) writes:

->  Actually, the real problem is that the Mac has it's SCSI address fixed at 7.
>So, if you put two Macs on the same SCSI bus, there is an address conflict.....

On the contrary. In later versions of the MacOS, the host SCSI address is
kept in low memory (true, it is initialized to 7), but is not hard-wired into
the code.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May5.162802.4896@neon.Stanford.EDU>, kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) wrote:
>The difference is that both Macs want to access the SAME partition, and you
>can't let both control the volume directory at the same time.  In the Mac vs.
>IIgs case, they are working in DIFFERENT partitions, and each can control
>its own directory.

Well, I have one 20SC and two Mac+s. Can I partition the drive into two 10MB
segments and have each one use it?
--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## We're dying from the moment we're conceived,
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	Time wins, always.