[comp.sys.mac.misc] EPS previewer - Does it exist?

IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) (05/01/91)

Is there a program that will let me preview EPS files on the screen before
printing them?

Thanks for any info.

Annice

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (05/01/91)

In article <91120.132931IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET> Annice Grinberg <IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET> writes:
#>Is there a program that will let me preview EPS files on the screen before
#>printing them?
#>
#>Thanks for any info.
#>
#>Annice

If you place an EPS file in Aldus Freehand, you can see it
on your screen. You can also place it in PageMaker, but you
may not see all the detail. I just tried placing an EPS file
in FreeHand, and it appeared to work.

Steve Goldfield

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/01/91)

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:

>If you place an EPS file in Aldus Freehand, you can see it
>on your screen. You can also place it in PageMaker, but you
>may not see all the detail. I just tried placing an EPS file
>in FreeHand, and it appeared to work.

This is true only if the EPS file was built with a Mac-preview format PICT
representation. If what you have is pure EPS without any attached picture,
to preview an EPS would require a postscript interpretet.

It's not onl ypossible to generate EPS files without pictures, sometimes
it's absolutely necessary (and sometimes you get EPS without them). In those
cases, all you see in Freehand or Pagemaker is a bounding box.

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

tonym@polari.UUCP (Tony Mann) (05/02/91)

preview EPS files.  The author is Tim Herzog, and his address is:
   Two Bits Worth
   45 S. Avon #20A
   Saint Paul, MN  55105
You may be able to find the program on an on-line service.

   ---Tony Mann

jerome@sampan (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) (05/02/91)

>It's not onl ypossible to generate EPS files without pictures, sometimes
>it's absolutely necessary (and sometimes you get EPS without them). In those
>cases, all you see in Freehand or Pagemaker is a bounding box.

iS there such a thing as a POST SCRIPT viewer?
My friend chuck here says that there is one for his amiga so I was wondering if
there is one for the Mac?

.Chaos

gousha@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Gousha) (05/06/91)

>iS there such a thing as a POST SCRIPT viewer?
>My friend chuck here says that there is one for his amiga so I was wondering if
>there is one for the Mac?

GIFconvertor will view, save, translate, and crop EPS files, as well as
a number of other formats.  I think the latest version (2.2.6) is available
for FTP from Sumex.  confirmation?

Charles Gousha                 |    "Yes, Star Trek IS a way of life"
gousha@cory.berkeley.edu       |               (my own philosophy)
All normal disclaimers apply, as well as some abnormal ones.

IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) (05/06/91)

In article <13379@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, gousha@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles
Gousha) says:

>GIFconvertor will view, save, translate, and crop EPS files, as well as
>a number of other formats.  I think the latest version (2.2.6) is available
>for FTP from Sumex.  confirmation?

I uploaded GIFConvertor, and it doesn't seem to recognize EPS files, just
GIF, TIFF, and PAINT.  Am I missing something?

Annice

irwin@yates.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (05/06/91)

The new version of Freedom of the Press (3.0.1) will do postscript
previewing.  I just got this upgrade in the mail last week.  I have
tried only on one file but it seems to work fine.

Mark

Mark Irwin     Dept of Statistics, Univ of Chicago
irwin@galton.uchicago.edu
irw1@midway.uchicago.edu
mark@stat.ubc.ca

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/07/91)

On the PC, we have the Free Software Foundation's Ghostscript.
Has it been ported to the Mac yet?