[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Draw Problem

fine@sctc.com (Todd Fine) (05/04/91)

Someone here is trying to draw a picture like this in Mac Draw II:

   ---TEXT-----------------------------------------
 /                                                  \
|                                                    |
|                                                    |
 \                                                  /
  ----------------------------------------TEXT-----

In other words, they have drawn an oval with corners and then typed
text over parts of the border.  It looks fine on the screen, but when
they print it on the Laser Writer, it looks like this:

   ---TEXT     ------------------------------------
 /                                                  \
|                                                    |
|                                                    |
 \                                                  /
  ----------------------------------------TEXT    -

In other words, parts of the border that are not covered with text do
not print.  We have checked to make sure that there are no trailing
spaces in the text that would cause the problem (in other words, when
we select the text, it seems to end where we think it ends).  Does
anyone have an suggestion as to how to fix this?  Personally, I think
the easiest solution would be to just not put the text on the border,
but that is not one of my options :-)

Thanks,

Todd Fine
fine@sctc.com

kieling@apple.com (mark kieling) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.190653.29002@sctc.com> fine@sctc.com (Todd Fine) writes:

>In other words, parts of the border that are not covered with text do
>not print.  We have checked to make sure that there are no trailing
>spaces in the text that would cause the problem (in other words, when
>we select the text, it seems to end where we think it ends).  Does
>anyone have an suggestion as to how to fix this?  Personally, I think
>the easiest solution would be to just not put the text on the border,
>but that is not one of my options :-)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Todd Fine
>fine@sctc.com

If "Font Substitution" is on in the "Page Setup" dialog, and the font your
using is not a PostScript font, then it may be substituted for a PostScript
font.  In that case, the font widths on the printer may differ from the widths
of the screen fonts.  You can either: use a PostScript font directly, by using
the screen font with the same name as one of the PostScript fonts, or turn off
"Font Substitution".

I don't remember the exact mappings for substitutions, but I think it goes like
this:

New York -> Times
Monaco   -> Helvetica
Geneva   -> Courier

- mark

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (05/04/91)

In article <13326@goofy.Apple.COM>, kieling@apple.com (mark kieling) writes:
>I don't remember the exact mappings for substitutions, but I think it goes like
>this:
>
>New York -> Times
>Monaco   -> Helvetica
>Geneva   -> Courier

	Close.  Monaco -> Courier (both monospace fonts)
	        Geneva -> Helvetica (both sans-serif fonts)

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/08/91)

kieling@apple.com (mark kieling) writes:

>If "Font Substitution" is on in the "Page Setup" dialog, and the font your
>using is not a PostScript font, then it may be substituted for a PostScript
>font.  In that case, the font widths on the printer may differ from the widths
>of the screen fonts.  You can either: use a PostScript font directly, by using
>the screen font with the same name as one of the PostScript fonts, or turn off
>"Font Substitution".

I agree that this is the likely problem but I ran a test and
did not get the expected results.  I used 20 different fonts
(bitmapped and PostScript) on an oval, with and without
font substitution and in only one case did I get any blanking.

This was with a font called Stencil and was a leading blank.

Go figure.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =