[comp.sys.mac.misc] Font Naming Substitution

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/08/91)

Trivia - how are these font names related to each other?

New York -> Times  (New York Times, the Newspaper)
Geneva -> Helvetica (Helvetica is the Greek word for Switzerland)

BUT....

I don't know the relationship between Monaco and Courier (if any)
Are there other relationships between place name fonts (which
are usually bitmap only) and a PostScript font?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

Christopher Tate <CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/08/91)

In fact, there are weird versions of Times, Courier, and Helvetica built
into the LaserWriters which (I believe) are used when substituting for
the screen fonts New York, Monaco, and Geneva.

The firmware of the printer reveals fonts called things like |_____Courier
instead of plain Courier.  The weird-name fonts have different character
spacing.

-------
Christopher Tate                   |
Student-Type Person                |   "The whole place is coming alive!"
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               |
{...}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105  |   "Yeah, and we're coming *dead*...."
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                |

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (05/08/91)

In article <6361@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

> Trivia - how are these font names related to each other?
>
> New York -> Times  (New York Times, the Newspaper)
> Geneva -> Helvetica (Helvetica is the Greek word for Switzerland)

Actually, Times is short for Times Roman, the name of a very famous
type design named after the new York Times.  Helvetica is the name of
another very famous design which comes from Switzerland much used in
advertising.

And yes, you can add

Monaco -> Courier

where Courier is the name of a famous typewriter-type design done by IBM.

New York, Geneva, and Monaco are types designed for the 72-dot/inch
Macintosh screen, and intended as "substitutes" for Times, Helvetica,
and Courier.  Since these were designed specifically for the Mac screen,
they are highly readable on the screen, and therefore very popular.

When the first LaserWriter came out, the convention of "font substitution"
was invented.  Text in New York is printed in Times Roman, so it will
look good on paper and the user isn't required to change his document
to Times Roman on the screen, reformat the document, and lose readability.
Likewise, Geneva is printed as Helvetica and Monaco as Courier.

The trouble with this is that the character spacing for New York has to
be used even though Times Roman characters are printed, and although this
looks "nicer" than printing New York with jaggies, it is bum typography.
Same goes for the Geneva->Helvetica conversion (Monaco->Courier works
better because both are monospaced anyway).

David Casseres

chas@netcom.COM (Chuck Fisher) (05/09/91)

In article <13396@goofy.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
>Actually, Times is short for Times Roman, the name of a very famous
>type design named after the new York Times.  Helvetica is the name of
>another very famous design which comes from Switzerland much used in
>advertising.

Times Roman comes from the *London Times* and not the New York Times.
Helvetica did not originate from Switzerland, but was named by it's
creator for that country.  Adobe has some good biographical notes
on their fonts that they sell.  You can get a *free* font catalog
from them that has lots of typographical trivia.

Chuck
--
Chuck Fisher                                  Work: (800) 359-7997
chas@netcom.com  IP address: 192.100.81.100   Home: (415) 964-2819

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.182323.29189@netcom.COM>, chas@netcom.COM (Chuck Fisher) writes:

> Times Roman comes from the *London Times* and not the New York Times.
> Helvetica did not originate from Switzerland, but was named by it's
> creator for that country.

I stand corrected; thanks.

David Casseres
 to resolve crosswords
>. I would like to find an algorithm which will allow me to find all the words m
>atching, for example ??i?ing.
>
>  I would like to know how can I index my dictionary to find easily a word know
>ing only some of its letters. And which algorithm would I use to access this di
>ctionary.
>
>     (Any pointer to PD software of this kind would also be appreciated).
>
>            Thanx in advance.
>
>                  David Geldreich (Ecole Centrale Paris)
----

The optimal data structure for this sort of work is called a 'dawg' -
a Directed Acyclic Word Graph.  As it happens, I've already written
the exact prpgram you are looking for; and have hacked the dawg structure
into other netlander's programs (in the word-game field) with promising
results.

I posted a set of routines to access dawgs on alt.sources just over a
year ago ('dawgutils.*'), and Austin Code Works also include a copy in
their Spell Pack' if you know someone who has that.  Failing that,
mail me & I'll mail them to you.

The dawg structure is explained in Appel & Jacobson's CACM paper on
'The Fastest Scrabble Program in the World'. (Several years old, and
don't have the ref to hand; I'll look it up for you if you're interested)

Regards
  Graham <gtoal@ed.ac.uk>

---
Excuse late responses fom this site - we get News 4 days late on average.