[comp.sys.mac.misc] FTP via Modem - Program?

jmitchel@king.drexel.edu (Jim Mitchell) (05/04/91)

In earlier articles there have been questions about what program to
use for FTP, with the standard answer being NCSA Telnet.  For
convenience I often work at home, loging on to a Unix machine (via
modem) which has FTP capability.  I can get FTP files to the Unix
machine, but then have difficulty getting them to my home machine.
Eventually I should be able to do so when I can figure out the
intracies of Kermit parameters, but hope there might be an easier way.
Is anyone aware of a Mac telecommunications program that would allow
me to FTP to my home machine (via modem of course), through the Unix
machine transparently. At the moment I'm using White Knight 11.12
quite happily except for this lack.

hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May4.114958.5110@mcs.drexel.edu> jmitchel@king.drexel.edu (Jim Mitchell) writes:
>In earlier articles there have been questions about what program to
>use for FTP, with the standard answer being NCSA Telnet.  For
>convenience I often work at home, loging on to a Unix machine (via
>modem) which has FTP capability.  I can get FTP files to the Unix
>machine, but then have difficulty getting them to my home machine.
>Eventually I should be able to do so when I can figure out the
>intracies of Kermit parameters, but hope there might be an easier way.
>Is anyone aware of a Mac telecommunications program that would allow
>me to FTP to my home machine (via modem of course), through the Unix
>machine transparently. At the moment I'm using White Knight 11.12
>quite happily except for this lack.

In the long run, Apple may provide a version of MacTCP that can work over SLIP
(serial line IP) or one of its successor protocols, so the standard answer
could still be NCSA Telnet.  Until then, there are a few communications
programs that have SLIP built into them.  In particular, I know of
TCP/Connect II, a commercial product from Intercon, and a modified version of
NCSA Telnet available via anonymous FTP from ftp.cisco.com.  (The latter has
no documentation, so you have to learn by word of mouth that you specify
hardware=slipXXXX, where XXXX is the line speed (e.g., 9600),  in order to
invoke the SLIP modifications.)
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu