[comp.sys.mac.misc] .Z uncompression

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (05/06/91)

Is there an implementation on the Mac that will allow me to uncompress
unix ".Z" files?  (You'd think there would be... anyone know where?)
Please reply via email.

Thanks much!
- Chris
   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: TfChris              WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May6.050412.19437@wpi.WPI.EDU> macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris
Silverberg) writes:

>Is there an implementation on the Mac that will allow me to uncompress
>unix ".Z" files?  (You'd think there would be...anyone know where?)
>Please reply via email.
>
>Thanks much!
>- Chris

Get MacCompress 3.2 from sumex (anonymous ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu).
The path is /info-mac/util/maccompress-32.hqx.  It encodes and de-codes
compress format.

Cheers,

Alan

  Alan R Fry                     |    You know what I hate?
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |    Rhetorical questions

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) (05/08/91)

Has anyone had any problems with MacCompress 3.2?  I tried it once and
it crashed my system consistently.  Maybe there was an init conflict
or something, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen strange
behavior with this program.

Mark Rosen
marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu

John_Shinnick@mindlink.bc.ca (John Shinnick) (05/08/91)

> marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu writes:
>
> Has anyone had any problems with MacCompress 3.2?  I tried it once and
> it crashed my system consistently.  Maybe there was an init conflict
> or something, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen strange
> behavior with this program.
>
> Mark Rosen
> marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu

I have had precisely the same problems and have not been able to uncompress any
files with the ".z" suffix. Is it because I don't have enough RAM (1meg)?
     ???
>>---o o---->
    **o**            John Shinnick, Editor, Pacific Yachting Magazine
     ***                                    Vancouver, Canada, V6B 2S2
--w--------w----------------------------------------------------------

rsfinn@concerto.lcs.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (05/10/91)

In article <5788@mindlink.bc.ca> John_Shinnick@mindlink.bc.ca (John Shinnick) writes:

   > marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu writes:
   >
   > Has anyone had any problems with MacCompress 3.2?  I tried it once and
   > it crashed my system consistently.  Maybe there was an init conflict
   > or something, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen strange
   > behavior with this program.

   I have had precisely the same problems and have not been able to uncompress any
   files with the ".z" suffix. Is it because I don't have enough RAM (1meg)?

Every time I have had this problem, it has been because I neglected to
turn off the LF-to-CR conversion feature in my telecommunications
program (White Knight, in my case).  Since .Z files are not MacBinary
format, the software usually assumes they're TEXT files and performs
this conversion.  Unfortunately, MacCompress is very sensitive to
corrupt files and usually locks up the machine pretty good.  Make sure
this isn't your problem; you may need to download the files again.

-- Russell S. Finn
rsfinn@lcs.mit.edu