[comp.sys.mac.misc] CP/M on Macs

oldfield@bcara232.bnr.ca (John Oldfield) (05/10/91)

Seen in comp.sys.mac.announce:

>Subject:   Apple Announcement Pending
>Date:      5/9/91            Time:  9:34 AM
>

>Cupertino, 9 May 91 (AP) -- Responding to rumours that a system software
>related announcement was scheduled for Monday, 13 May, inside sources have said
>that Apple is about to announce a CP/M compatibility mode for the Macintosh.
>The software for the new operating mode requires an 80 Mb hard disk, a minimum
>of 4 Mb of RAM, and the new "8-bit clean" ROMs.  CP/M, made popular in the
>early 1980s, has been conspicuously absent from the microcomputer industry in
>recent years.                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, actually, just for fun, I tried running the DOS program Z80MU.EXE under
SoftPC on a fast Mac. Z80MU is a PC program that accurately emulates a 64K, Z80-based
CP/M machine.

I think SoftPC on this Mac had a Norton SI rating of 3.9 or 4.9...the effective clock
speed of the emulated CP/M system came out to about 800KHz! Unfortunately, I couldn't
think of any CP/M-based emulations to run so my "emulation nesting" (tm) level was
only 2.

Does anybody else have similar stories about nested emulations?

--
Dislaimer: Me, responsible? I can't even spell!
         John Oldfield     |     Phone:  (613)763-3602