[comp.sys.mac.misc] Which to buy? Plus or Classic?

gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) (05/07/91)

I have a friend who has the opportunity to buy either a used Mac
Plus (1MB, 1 floppy, 40MB HD, big fat ugly mouse) for $900 or a new
Classic (1MB, 1 floppy, 40MB HD, sleek new stylish mouse) for $1300.
Is either of these even close to a good deal?  And if they both are,
which would you recommend?  I know the Classic is faster than the
Plus and has the newer ROMs, but she's going to be using it mostly
for word processing and pie graphs, so such nicities don't really
matter.

Thanks for your help.  Please E-mail responses -- I don't read this
group...

Greg "Maddog" Knauss              "Aiee!"               gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/10/91)

In article <19071@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) writes:
> I have a friend who has the opportunity to buy either a used Mac
> Plus (1MB, 1 floppy, 40MB HD, big fat ugly mouse) for $900 or a new
> Classic (1MB, 1 floppy, 40MB HD, sleek new stylish mouse) for $1300.
> Is either of these even close to a good deal?

Both are a little too high.  The classic is almost at suggested list.  The
Mac Plus is at new price (new price at some liquidators), but does it have
a warranty?  If these are the choices, get the classic.  It has a warranty.

> I know the Classic is faster than the Plus and has the newer ROMs, but
> she's going to be using it mostly for word processing and pie graphs, so
> such nicities don't really matter.

The Mac Plus, SE and Classic all run at the same speed.  A normal user
will not notice the difference.  If the Plus has the original keyboard,
this is a major drawback--but you can get decent keyboards for the Plus
for about $100.  The Classic has a superdrive--a major nice feature.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john