[comp.sys.mac.misc] When bold isn't bold

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/11/91)

I have been using the Zapf Chancery font lately.  I've noticed that when
I make the font BOLD, it becomes BOLD on the screen, but the printed
characters are not.  How come?  This is using MacDrawII on a MacIIcx
under system 6.0.3.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Oh yeah,
I'm using a Laserwriter II.

Cheers,

Chris

--------------+----------------------------------------------------------
Chris Mauritz | Cuba's *superior* human rights record is only part of the
--------------|        -Harel Barzilai-

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (05/11/91)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>I have been using the Zapf Chancery font lately.  I've noticed that when
>I make the font BOLD, it becomes BOLD on the screen, but the printed
>characters are not.  How come?

Certain fonts like Zapf Chancery and Symbol (the Apple version
anyway, maybe not the Adobe version) do not have the capability to
print bold to a Postscript device. They show bold on your screen
because QuickDraw makes them bold, but to be bold in Postscript the
capability has to be built into the font.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu