[comp.sys.mac.misc] Fractional widths confusion

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (05/11/91)

Ordinarily I never use Geneva in my documents, but recently I was printing
a long Word 4(A) document for a friend and it was all Geneva. I was printing
on a Personal NT. There were some titles etc. in bold, and I ran into the
old problem of weird character widths (esp. the space). I discovered two
things:

1. Option-space seems to be of constant width, at least in Helvetica.
Replacing spaces with it fixed the problem.

2. Before I thought of 1, however, I naturally tried the "Fractional
widths" in Page Setup. This worked for me before. This time the printout
looked as if it came out of a bitmap! Normally Helvetica is somewhat heavy;
this time all letters had very skinny and rather irregular strokes... BTW,
I did have Font Substitution checked, so no, it wasn't trying to print
Geneva. What gives? Is it a bug in Word? Just curious.      E.
--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May11.011753.4423@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:
.Ordinarily I never use Geneva in my documents, but recently I was printing
.a long Word 4(A) document for a friend and it was all Geneva. I was printing
.on a Personal NT. There were some titles etc. in bold, and I ran into the
.old problem of weird character widths (esp. the space). I discovered two
.things:

.2. Before I thought of 1, however, I naturally tried the "Fractional
.widths" in Page Setup. This worked for me before. This time the printout
.looked as if it came out of a bitmap! Normally Helvetica is somewhat heavy;
.this time all letters had very skinny and rather irregular strokes... BTW,
.I did have Font Substitution checked, so no, it wasn't trying to print
.Geneva. What gives? Is it a bug in Word? Just curious.      E.

It turns out the Fractional Widths disables font substitution, so you WERE
trying to print Geneva.  Even if font substitution did work, the lines would
probably look a little funny because Geneva metrics are not the same as
Helvetica metrics.  Why not change the document font to Helvetica?

If you wait for system 7, you will get "Real" Geneva in TrueType outline
form.

The whole "Font Substitution" hack should, IMHO, have gone away when folks
had enough space on a hard disk to store real Helvetica, Times and Courier
fonts.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/12/91)

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

EB>Ordinarily I never use Geneva in my documents, but recently I was
EB>printing a long Word 4(A) document for a friend and it was all
EB>Geneva. I was printing on a Personal NT. There were some titles
EB>etc. in bold, and I ran into the old problem of weird character
EB>widths (esp. the space).

EB>I did have Font Substitution checked, so no, it wasn't trying to
EB>print Geneva. What gives? Is it a bug in Word?

     Since Geneva and Helvetica have different spacings, it's not suprising
you obtained wierd spacing by using Font Substitution:  the document is
being formatted in one font, and printed in another.

     Font Substitution was only intended to be a kludge.  If you want nice-
looking results, use the correct font to begin with.  (If the document was
"all" Geneva, than it's pretty easy to convert it to all Helvetica, no?)

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)

In article <1991May11.073924.13068@neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:

>It turns out the Fractional Widths disables font substitution, so you WERE
>trying to print Geneva.  Even if font substitution did work, the lines would
>probably look a little funny because Geneva metrics are not the same as
>Helvetica metrics.  Why not change the document font to Helvetica?
>
>If you wait for system 7, you will get "Real" Geneva in TrueType outline
>form.

Ever tried to print that Geneva on a hi-res device?  It is _U_G_L_Y_.  I never
realized 360dpi could look so bad.