[comp.sys.mac.misc] the 100 lines postings..

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/09/91)

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) writes:

>In article <1991Apr23.195515.21052@terminator.cc.umich.edu> Michael writes:
>>Other than the technical glitches, do you like the idea of
>>announcing new files on the archive here on comp.sys.mac.misc?

>No, I'm getting tired of them really fast.  Better to just have an index
>file that people can FTP, and not bother the rest of us.
>--
>	Roger L. Long
>	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

Personally, I like them.  I don't like having to go to umich and dig around
for stuff.
Apparently someone straps Mr. Long into a chair and forces him to read every
posting.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (05/10/91)

From article <1991May9.003802.7311@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski):

I like the postings too.  How about labeling them distinctly though, so those
who don't want to read can avoid them.  Begin all with "FTP-site".
For example:  FTP-Sumex: Wizbang 7.0 demo.

And then there's the obvious thing, someone with the right machine can create
another Newsgroup...

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (05/13/91)

tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) writes:

>In article <1991May11.144445.4241@dhw68k.cts.com> bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) writes:
>>I was questioning their usefulnes, given that someone in a position to FTP a
>>file could just as easily FTP an index first.  There are a number of FTP sites
>>archiving various things on intest to various people.  If everyone was to post
>>a blow-by-blow listing of what was being added to their archives, there'd be
>>room for little else on the net.

>	You mean like the regular, large postings about Simtel 20 on
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc?  The very good reason for posting a list of recent
>additions to the Michigan site is that there is no new files listing.  Also,

The fix to that problem is to have a ls-LR and a new files list available
on the ftp site, not to post to the net.  I agree that the 100 lines...
postings are at best annoying.

>given the relatively large number of files (and directories), such a listing
>does a service to those who use what has become one of the two most active mac
>ftp sites in the country.

[stuff deleted]
--
Jon Hamilton