[comp.sys.mac.misc] Seeking recs on high-quality Mac II video card VRAM vendors

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) (05/11/91)

I have a Mac II with the original video card which gives me 4 bit gray (I have
a grayscale monitor).  I'd like to upgrade to 256 grays, and hence need to find
some VRAM for the Mac II video card.  I called Chip Merchant, but they were out
of stock, and said I'd have to call back in a few days to even learn when they
might get some more in.  I called Technology Works (whom I recommend for
SIMM's), but they don't carry Mac II VRAM (just LC VRAM).

Can anyone recommend any _reliable_ chip company which sells _high-quality_
VRAM for the Mac II? (Lifetime warranties would be nice too).  I see several
other vendors in the back of MacWeek, but know nothing about the quality of
their chips.

Any information much appreciated!  Please respond soon, as I'd like to get
these ASAP.  Thanks!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "Good tea.        =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  Nice house."     =
=                                * mine                *  -Worf            =

jweldon@sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.135652.1@gsbacd.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:

>I have a Mac II with the original video card which gives me 4 bit gray (I have
>a grayscale monitor).
>
>Can anyone recommend any _reliable_ chip company which sells _high-quality_
>VRAM for the Mac II?

I thought this would appropriate to post since I have just finished
instlling the same after looking for a week or so.  I eventually went
with Peripheral Outlet, Ada, Oklahoma (800-332-6581) for the MacII VRAM
kit and 4 more 1Mb SIMMS. Cost was $24 for the VRAM and $42 for the
80nsec SIMMS. Credit cards were accepted, but I was nicked for 3% for
taking it. Yes, there is a lifetime warranty--be sure to ask for a copy.
Everything installed fine (Obviously, having a static strap helps :-)

I am not connected with [blah blah blah]...You get the idea.

--
Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon
(jweldon@csd.sgi.com)