[comp.sys.mac.misc] DAT backup for MAC?

david@david.UUCP (David A. Roth) (02/11/91)

Has anyone heard of a interface that allows a MAC to be backed-up on
at DAT(Digital Audio Tape), something like the old VCR backup systems
with Apple IIs.

I've heard about the DAT backup offered with DigiDesign but I don't
think that allows complete archive of the system just the soundfiles.

Thanks in advance.

David

              _TT    /|    |~
         >====ttt===< |   O|   |~       att!osu-cis!david!david
            {_|||_}  \|       O|        	or
					n8emr!david!david
	David A. Roth 			uunet!abvax!osu-cis!david!david
	From CompuServ:		send >internet:david@david.uucp

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (02/13/91)

In article <789@david.UUCP>, david@david.UUCP (David A. Roth) writes...
>Has anyone heard of a interface that allows a MAC to be backed-up on
>at DAT(Digital Audio Tape), something like the old VCR backup systems
>with Apple IIs.

MaxStream, among others, offers a very fast (8 megs/min?) tape
backup that uses 8mm 'video' cassettes

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (02/17/91)

In article <789@david.UUCP> david@david.UUCP (David A. Roth) writes:
>Has anyone heard of a interface that allows a MAC to be backed-up on
>at DAT(Digital Audio Tape), something like the old VCR backup systems
>with Apple IIs.
>
>I've heard about the DAT backup offered with DigiDesign but I don't
>think that allows complete archive of the system just the soundfiles.

	I don't think one can use a conventional audio DAT deck for data
backups.  There ARE archival tape units based on the DAT mechanism (one
of them claims to be able to put 10Gb on one cassette), but audio DAT units
lack a mechanism to permit the computer to externally control them.

	I know that VCR's *have* been used to back up macs, but the
information density on a DAT means that several megabytes would be recorded/
played each second;  the mac could only keep up with a DAT if it could
turn the DAT on and off for millisecond intervals.

	It's a bit like how you can't use a conventional CD player to play
CD-ROM's.  You need a hardware interface to the deck's controller.
Charlie Mingo					Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us
2209 Washington Circle #2				  mingo@cup.portal.com
Washington, DC  20037	    CI$: 71340,2152	AT&T:  202/785-2089

epan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Eric C. Pan) (02/17/91)

	Charlie Mingo talked in his post about unusability of audio DATs for
computer backup due to the lack of control.  But what about Sony's L-control(?)
, S-control(?) and Pioneer's control system. A lot of companies produce comp-
onents that had control interfaces intended for control by a reciever/pre-amp
.  Are those usable from a computer-control standpoint?

					Eric

p.s. I believe the 10mg/tape capacity Charlie quoted is based on hardware
compression and not the "real" or "raw" storage capacity of DAT tapes.

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (02/17/91)

In article <23192@well.sf.ca.us> mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) writes:
>[...]
>	It's a bit like how you can't use a conventional CD player to play
>CD-ROM's.  You need a hardware interface to the deck's controller.

I have always wondered why CD-ROM drives are so expensive when compared to
the consumer audio CD players.  CD-ROM drives use the same mechanism, don;t
need D/A converters, and all they really need is a SCSI card on-board.
Am I spouting mixed-up untruth, or should CD-ROM drives cost $200?

bill

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (02/17/91)

In article <789@david.UUCP> david@david.UUCP (David A. Roth) writes:
>Has anyone heard of a interface that allows a MAC to be backed-up on
>at DAT(Digital Audio Tape), something like the old VCR backup systems
>with Apple IIs.

See  MacWEEK, February 12.  They have a short thing on the current
state of DAT backup.

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (02/18/91)

In article <10851@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> epan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Eric C. Pan) writes:

>	Charlie Mingo talked in his post about unusability of audio DATs for
>computer backup due to the lack of control.  But what about Sony's
>L-control(?), S-control(?) and Pioneer's control system. A lot of companies
>produce components that had control interfaces intended for control by a
>reciever/pre-amp.  Are those usable from a computer-control standpoint?

	Well, I'm no expert on the specifics of L-Control, S-Control, et al.,
but the reciever/pre-amp coordination system are usually only designed to
do simple things like "start PLAY" or "REWind", not "advance to frame
08A3F1 and transmit the next sixty frames."  A computer controller requires
extremely precise control over the device, so that specific locations can
be reliably accessed.  It also usually needs some sort of error detection/
correction system, which audio DATs generally lack.  (Audio DAT's have
mechanisms to make errors less noticable, such as interpolation, but data
DAT's have to eliminate errors completely.)  And consumer DAT's *do* produce
a lot of errors of the bit level.  According to reports on the dat-heads
mailing list, 2500 errors/second is not unheard of.  This is not a problem
for recording *music*, but data would be really corrupted by this.  (The
best DAT's have around 100 errors/second.)

>p.s. I believe the 10mg/tape capacity Charlie quoted is based on hardware
>compression and not the "real" or "raw" storage capacity of DAT tapes.

	Well, that was 10GB (GigaBytes), and there surely is some compression
involved, but I've never seen a DAT data cassette system which offered less
than 2GB.  Remember that the PCM system involves around 1.5 million bits/
second of recording time, which suggests a "raw" data storage of 1.35GB
on a 120min cassette.

In article <27BDB6B4.17437@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
>In article <23192@well.sf.ca.us> mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) writes:
>>[...]
>>	It's a bit like how you can't use a conventional CD player to play
>>CD-ROM's.  You need a hardware interface to the deck's controller.
>
>I have always wondered why CD-ROM drives are so expensive when compared to
>the consumer audio CD players.  CD-ROM drives use the same mechanism, don;t
>need D/A converters, and all they really need is a SCSI card on-board.
>Am I spouting mixed-up untruth, or should CD-ROM drives cost $200?

	It has to do with production quantity.  Tens of millions of CD
players are made each year; only a few tens of thousands of CD-ROM's
(if that) are.  When I purchased my first CD player in 1983 (an NEC 803CD),
it cost $1250, and the cheapest available was a Denon for about $850.

	DAT decks involve the tape mechanism of a VCR, with the D/A converter
of a CD player.  Yet DAT's cost much more than a VCR and a CD player combined.
Mind you, DAT prices are falling fast, and some speculate they'll cross the
critical $500 price barrier, which is the threshold for widespread acceptance,
based on the VCR and CD experience.

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (02/18/91)

In article <23206@well.sf.ca.us> mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) writes:

>	It has to do with production quantity.  ....

>	DAT decks involve the tape mechanism of a VCR, with the D/A converter
>of a CD player.  Yet DAT's cost much more than a VCR and a CD player combined.

DAT decks involve the same principles as a VCR but their transport is
unique.  The only thing that uses DAT transports and DAT sized tape are
DATS.   No way to combine savings with other mechanical transports.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (02/19/91)

In article <27BDB6B4.17437@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:

>I have always wondered why CD-ROM drives are so expensive when compared to
>the consumer audio CD players.  CD-ROM drives use the same mechanism, don;t
>need D/A converters, and all they really need is a SCSI card on-board.
>Am I spouting mixed-up untruth, or should CD-ROM drives cost $200?
>
>bill

Well, I don't think they are the same mechanism in general.  Consider,
how long does it take your CD player to seek from the beginning of a disc
to the end.  Most take at least a couple of seconds.

Such a mechanism would be unacceptable for use with a CD-ROM where
you want much higher access times.

Now, there is one drive out, the portable from NEC, I forget its
model number, which is low priced, and seems to use a traditional mechanism.
It's average access time, however, is something like 1500ms, as compared
to about 350ms for higher-end CD-ROM drives, like the Toshiba.

Josh

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (02/20/91)

In article <10851@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> epan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Eric C. Pan) writes:

>p.s. I believe the 10mg/tape capacity Charlie quoted is based on hardware
>compression and not the "real" or "raw" storage capacity of DAT tapes.
I would have thought that the data capacity of a DAT tape would be
similar to that of a CD. If I have got my math right, that would be
(for tape that couls hold 1 hour of audio):

	sample rate = app. 50 kHz per channel, two channels, 8 bit
coding (i.e. byte encoding)

		= 100,000 samples/sec*60*60
		= 360 M samples, which is 360 Mb of data

This is, of course, raw, unformatted capacity, but I don't see any
reason why you shouldn't be able to get 256 Mb of data onto a tape.

Am I missing something?

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

mcohen@umbc5.umbc.edu (Mr. Mark Cohen; HONORS COL (U)) (05/13/91)

In article <27BDB6B4.17437@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
>In article <23192@well.sf.ca.us> mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) writes:
>>[...]
>>	It's a bit like how you can't use a conventional CD player to play
>>CD-ROM's.  You need a hardware interface to the deck's controller.
>
>I have always wondered why CD-ROM drives are so expensive when compared to
>the consumer audio CD players.  CD-ROM drives use the same mechanism, don;t
>need D/A converters, and all they really need is a SCSI card on-board.
>Am I spouting mixed-up untruth, or should CD-ROM drives cost $200?
>
>bill

You aren't too far from some of the lower-end type prices for CD-ROM's.
If you take a look in the nearest DAK catalog, you will see that you can
get the CD-ROM plus 6 full CD's for around $700.  (I don't have the catalog
with me, but it's around there.)  I figure that a great deal of that
is for the software (hey, lot's of people put lots of time into digitizing
that stuff!!), but of course they advertise that as free discs from buying
the CD-ROM.  The only cost of the drive that you missed is the actual
board for the computer and cable to hook it in (figure almost $100 for
that).  So, yes, CD-ROM's should be maybe $300-$400, but you can find
the exact same thing for thousands more if you try hard enough.  I got
one of the CD-ROM's from DAK and I love it.

      (out about $700 but worth it),
                                    Mark

        MCOHEN@UMBC5.UMBC.EDU