[comp.sys.mac.misc] Here is something bizzare!

consp22@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren L. Handler) (05/13/91)

I have here a locked disk, that is not locked.  The write protect tab
is in the write-enabled position, but the machine thinks, for all
intensive purposes, that it is locked.  We have tried all of the usual
ideas, but to no avail.  (in Get Info for the disk, it displays as
locked, but the work locked is greyed out, and our drive is fine)

Any ideas?

    Darren Handler - Senior Computer Consultant - SUNY Binghamton
		 consp22@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu
 Academic Computing Support - The most fun you can have sitting down

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |

adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.031658.13802@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp22@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren L. Handler) writes:
>I have here a locked disk, that is not locked.  The write protect tab
>is in the write-enabled position, but the machine thinks, for all
>intensive purposes, that it is locked.  We have tried all of the usual

Looks like your disk might be bit locked, one of those software phenomenons 8-)
Anyway, you need some utility/DA that'll let you unlock it.  I recall there was
a freeware DA called DiskLock(tm) (by Jeff Schulman) at sumex.aim.stanford.edu.
I don't know if it's there anymore but it's worth a check.  Sorry, I don't know
the location of the bits to edit, though I'm sure there's many people out there
who do.  ( Okay, let's hear it! 8-)

(and people, quit whining about the "slow" Sys7 release, `cuz next thing you'll
 be doing is whining about the "bugs"/"incompatiblities" in Sys7  8-)

See ya...

Tony Chen
adchen@phoenix.princeton.edu