[comp.sys.mac.misc] Taking one's mac along to Europe

pgiltner@epas.toronto.edu (Phil Giltner) (05/08/91)

A friend asked me today about what the possiblities or difficulties
were in taking one's mac+ along with him for a year in Europe.
Canadian Specs match US.What kind of transformer would he have to use?
Would it be worth it?

Philip Giltner
Department of History
University of Toronto
PGILTNER@EPAS.UTORONTO.CA

nudnik@buhub.bradley.edu (Steven Parks) (05/11/91)

In <1991May7.200229.5228@epas.toronto.edu> pgiltner@epas.toronto.edu (Phil Giltner) writes:

>A friend asked me today about what the possiblities or difficulties
>were in taking one's mac+ along with him for a year in Europe.
>Canadian Specs match US.What kind of transformer would he have to use?
>Would it be worth it?

I don't know about a Mac Plus, but I know that a Mac SE (even my very own 2/40)
  will handle the voltage overseas...  It might be worth checking into...

Speaking of Mac SEs...  (plug)  I'm selling mine, especially to those who want
  a Macintosh computer for use overseas.

Please Email me if anyone is interested.

--
     __    Steven Parks    1312 W. Main  #104    Peoria, Illinois  61606    USA
 the|  |                  InterNet:  nudnik@buhub.bradley.edu
|  ||  ||   \ \||/ /   ||  | \_/|__||  | would happen.  That's all it was: just
 \_||__| \ __\/  \/__ / |__|     \_||_/  curiosity."  -=O=-  Jim Morrison, 1969

cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (05/14/91)

nudnik@buhub.bradley.edu (Steven Parks) writes:
> In <1991May7.200229.5228@epas.toronto.edu> pgiltner@epas.toronto.edu
> (Phil Giltner) writes:

>> A friend asked me today about what the possiblities or difficulties
>> were in taking one's mac+ along with him for a year in Europe.
>> Canadian Specs match US.What kind of transformer would he have to use?
> I don't know about a Mac Plus, but I know that a Mac SE ... will handle
> the voltage overseas...  It might be worth checking into...

Phil--
  Steve's right:  It comes down to, yes, your friend can use his Plus
in Europe .... *if* he wants to buy a European spec. analog board for it.
An educated guess is that this would cost around C$350 or 400.  The Plus'
power supply is notoriously wimpy; trying to run it at 50 Hz rather than
the 60 Hz it expects would be just about certain to blow it up.  (Note:
this is *not* to say that running 50 rather than 60 Hz might not cause
other damage as well....)  The SE power supply, on the other hand, is very
robust and all you need to do to run it in Europe is get the right power
cord -- no transformer needed.  (Note that with the Classic you're back in
the same boat as with the Plus.)  Your friend will be far better off if he
gets rid of his Plus and buys a used SE.

--Carl Alexander
News Editor, The Active Window
cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu