[comp.sys.mac.misc] Desert Storm CD-ROM ?

wilde@hri.com (Scott Wilde) (05/03/91)

	In the just released issue of MacUser (June?), there are reviews of
CD-ROM drives, and capsule reviews of 27 disks.  One of the disks mentioned
is a chronology of Operation Desert Storm, based on coverage by the reporters
for _Time_.  They said it was supposed to be released April 1991.  The disk
is published by Warner New Media.
	This is the first time I had heard of this.  Has anyone seen this disk
or heard any more about it?

Scott Wilde
wilde@hri.com

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/07/91)

Went looking, and found out some more info (hopefully accurate :-)

The disc is called "Desert Storm: The First draft of History".

It is available from Educorp 800-843-9497... should be shipping by now.
The first version is for the Mac, with an MSDOS version by summer.

kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/08/91)

SW>	In the just released issue of MacUser (June?), there are reviews of
SW>CD-ROM drives, and capsule reviews of 27 disks.  One of the disks
SW>mentioned is a chronology of Operation Desert Storm, based on coverage
SW>by the reporters for _Time_.  They said it was supposed to be released
SW>April 1991.  The disk is published by Warner New Media.
SW>This is the first time I had heard of this.  Has anyone seen this
SW>disk or heard any more about it?

     Well, _Time_ itself had a blurb on it a week or two after the war was over.
It contains all the original correspondants' reports which were rewritten before
they appeared in _Time_, along with a lot of pictures, too.  The _Time_ blurb
showed it appearing on an Apple RGB monitor, so I presume it's a Mac product.

    This is the kind of odd product which recently-formed conglomerates produce
to show stock analysists that there really _is_ some synergy in combining two
unrelated companies.   As I've never seen it on sale (or even advertised)
anywhere, I doubt this was put out as a commercial product.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)

mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) (05/08/91)

in article <673653612.4@blkcat.FidoNet.Org>, Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) says:
>SW>	In the just released issue of MacUser (June?), there are reviews of
>SW>CD-ROM drives, and capsule reviews of 27 disks.  One of the disks
>SW>mentioned is a chronology of Operation Desert Storm, based on coverage
>SW>by the reporters for _Time_.  They said it was supposed to be released
>SW>April 1991.  The disk is published by Warner New Media.

	It can be purchased for 39.99 (suggested retail).

	Call:

	Educorp @ 1-800-843-9497  -or-
	Rose Records @ 1-800-955-ROSE  -or-
	The Bureau of Electronic Publishing @ 1-800-828-4766

	The ad I read said it will be available in book and record stores.

--Mark.
--
"To skilled assembly language	      |	Mark Nilsen.
programmers, the 8088 is perhaps the  |

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/08/91)

In article <673653612.4@blkcat.FidoNet.Org> Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) writes:
>SW>	In the just released issue of MacUser (June?), there are reviews of
>SW>CD-ROM drives, and capsule reviews of 27 disks.  One of the disks
>SW>mentioned is a chronology of Operation Desert Storm, based on coverage
>SW>by the reporters for _Time_.  They said it was supposed to be released
>SW>April 1991.  The disk is published by Warner New Media.
>SW>This is the first time I had heard of this.  Has anyone seen this
>SW>disk or heard any more about it?
>
>     Well, _Time_ itself had a blurb on it a week or two after the war was over.
>It contains all the original correspondants' reports which were rewritten before
>they appeared in _Time_, along with a lot of pictures, too.  The _Time_ blurb
>showed it appearing on an Apple RGB monitor, so I presume it's a Mac product.
>
>    This is the kind of odd product which recently-formed conglomerates produce
>to show stock analysists that there really _is_ some synergy in combining two
>unrelated companies.   As I've never seen it on sale (or even advertised)
>anywhere, I doubt this was put out as a commercial product.

For a "non-existant" product, there sure are a lot of folks carrying it. The
CDRom lists at $39.95. Educorp and Maya are both advertising it, at prices
below list. Time/Warner sent out a flyer on it to "known" CDRomers (how we
got to be "known" is anyone's guess). Looks like they are trying to follow
in CNN's footsteps and sell "we won the war" merchandise before it goes out
of vogue. But, for $30, it might be interesting to look at. Might be useful
to those doing reports on the Middle East situation as well.

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

peterm@dna.lth.se (Peter M|ller) (05/13/91)

In article <1075@eplunix.UUCP> mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) writes:

>	It can be purchased for 39.99 (suggested retail).
>
>	Call:
>
>	Educorp @ 1-800-843-9497  -or-
>	Rose Records @ 1-800-955-ROSE  -or-
>	The Bureau of Electronic Publishing @ 1-800-828-4766
>
>	The ad I read said it will be available in book and record stores.

OK, for us poor folks living *outside* of US: is there a number we can call?
(800-numbers only work inside US).

/Peter

Peter M|ller
Work: Lund Inst. of Technology, Box 118, S-221 00 LUND, Sweden, +46 -46 104 929
Home: Gunnesbov. 38, S-222 55 LUND, Sweden, +46 - 46 32 05 22
                          "Those where the days"    (Sv: "Det var b{ttre f|rr")

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (05/14/91)

In article <673653612.4@blkcat.FidoNet.Org> Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) writes:
>SW>	In the just released issue of MacUser (June?), there are reviews of
>SW>CD-ROM drives, and capsule reviews of 27 disks.  One of the disks
>SW>mentioned is a chronology of Operation Desert Storm, based on coverage
>SW>by the reporters for _Time_.  They said it was supposed to be released
>SW>April 1991.  The disk is published by Warner New Media.
>SW>This is the first time I had heard of this.  Has anyone seen this
>SW>disk or heard any more about it?
>
>     Well, _Time_ itself had a blurb on it a week or two after the war was
>over.
>It contains all the original correspondants' reports which were rewritten
>before
>they appeared in _Time_, along with a lot of pictures, too.  The _Time_ blurb
>showed it appearing on an Apple RGB monitor, so I presume it's a Mac product.
>
>This is the kind of odd product which recently-formed conglomerates
>produce
>to show stock analysists that there really _is_ some synergy in combining two
>unrelated companies.   As I've never seen it on sale (or even advertised)
>anywhere, I doubt this was put out as a commercial product.

Ding Dong, you're wrong!  It IS out as a commercial product, lists at
$39.95.  Time/Warner had a booth at the Microsoft CD-ROM conference in
March and was advertising an April release date.  I picked up an order
form, but can't lay my hands on it just now.  If there's great interest,
I'll try to find it and post relevent address, phone numbers, etc.

mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) (05/15/91)

in article <1991May13.122816.1098@lth.se>, peterm@dna.lth.se (Peter M|ller) says:

> In article <1075@eplunix.UUCP> mrn@eplunix.UUCP
>> I wrote:
>>	It can be purchased for 39.99 (suggested retail).
>>      Call:
>>      [1-800 number deleted]
>>
> OK, for us poor folks living *outside* of US: is there a number we can call?
> (800-numbers only work inside US).
These are the folks that put out the flier.

Warner New Media
3500 W. Olive Ave.
Burbank, CA 91505 USA

(818) 955-9999