[comp.sys.mac.misc] Locked volumes...

rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) (05/14/91)

consp22@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren L. Handler) writes:
>>I have here a locked disk, that is not locked.  The write protect tab
>>is in the write-enabled position, but the machine thinks, for all
>>intensive purposes, that it is locked.  We have tried all of the usual

>Looks like your disk might be bit locked, one of those software phenomenons 8-)
>Anyway, you need some utility/DA that'll let you unlock it.  I recall there was
>a freeware DA called DiskLock(tm) (by Jeff Schulman) at sumex.aim.stanford.edu.
>I don't know if it's there anymore but it's worth a check.  Sorry, I don't know
>the location of the bits to edit, though I'm sure there's many people out there
>who do.  ( Okay, let's hear it! 8-)

Check out sector two, byte offset ten.  This will normally be an 0x80 if the
volume is software-locked (the high bit is set).  You can try resetting the
high bit, then write out the sector, then unmount the volume and re-mount.
(Full unmount, don't just eject.)

PS:  Don't hold me responsible if anything goes wrong... :)

--
  Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu
  University of Michigan ITD Consulting & Support Services

brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.154030.15384@terminator.cc.umich.edu> rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) writes:
>In article 11288 in comp.sys.mac.misc, adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>(Anthony Dunyeh Chen) writes:
>
>>In article <1991May13.031658.13802@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>
>consp22@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren L. Handler) writes:
>>>I have here a locked disk, that is not locked.  The write protect tab
>>>is in the write-enabled position, but the machine thinks, for all
>>>intensive purposes, that it is locked.  We have tried all of the usual
>
>>Looks like your disk might be bit locked, one of those software phenomenons 8-)
>>Anyway, you need some utility/DA that'll let you unlock it.  I recall there was
>>a freeware DA called DiskLock(tm) (by Jeff Schulman) at sumex.aim.stanford.edu.
>>I don't know if it's there anymore but it's worth a check.  Sorry, I don't know
>>the location of the bits to edit, though I'm sure there's many people out there
>>who do.  ( Okay, let's hear it! 8-)
>
>Check out sector two, byte offset ten.  This will normally be an 0x80 if the
>volume is software-locked (the high bit is set).  You can try resetting the
>high bit, then write out the sector, then unmount the volume and re-mount.
>(Full unmount, don't just eject.)
Better yet, just ftp to sumex and get FloppyUnlocker from /util/.  If
you can't ftp, drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to ya!
I tried DiskLock, but if I recall, it only let you lock the startup
volume.  FloppyUnlocker will do anything.

Brad  brad@aerospace.aero.org
(FloppyUnlocker author - obvious bias here)